Hermits and Nitrate ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattP725

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering how sensitive hermits are to nitrate.... I have a pretty descent algae bloom and it is most likely due to my higher nitrates. I wanted to get a hermit or two to help absorb some of the algae and nitrates... The nitrate is like 20-30ppm right now. Everything else is perfect. Amm is 0 Nitrite is 0 Salinity is 1.024-1.025 PH is about 8.2. Will they be able to tolerate the nitrate and help clean the tank up? I am sick of this brown crap all over my tank. I have some live rock from LR.com but don't have a very big clean up crew (infact besides some featherdusters I don't see anything at all except for some sponge and other growth).

They will be fine, just aclimate them. They won't really do anything for diatome algae tho'. At least mine don't touch it.

keep changing water to keep the nitrates down untill things calm down or look into spending some money if things are already calmed down

how old is the tank and what kind of filters do you have?

Algae is part of the maturation process and happens in pretty much every new tank once the cycle is completed, even with RO water. It generally dies down after a while. Other than that, snails can help keep things clean.

Back
Top Bottom