Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-24-2006, 10:46 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Shrimp are carnivores and will not help with the algae. About 5-10 Turbo Snails would help though. Nassarius Snails are also a great addition to keep detritus from building up and to keep your sand stirred up. For shrimp I would stick to cleaner & peppermint and only get one and wait a month or two before adding more. Make sure they both have enough to eat once the tank is cleaned up.

If your tank is at least 3 months old and your nh3/no2 are 0 and your no3 is <10 ppm then you could try them. Keep in mind that both shrimp and snails are sensitive to high levels of copper-based medications and will not tolerate high nitrate levels. Both IMO require a slightly longer drip acclimation period of 4 hours to thrive long term. If getting from the lfs ask for an extra bag of water from the same tank to put in the 5 gal bucket for drip acclimation. Once done acclimating I would use a small cup to scoop up the shrimp and dump as much lfs water out as possible before adding it to the tank. Snails can just be picked up and placed in the tank by hand.

As far as changing out your tap with ro water make sure the ro water doesn’t contain po4 and if it does buy ro/di water from a lfs if possible. As long as you take the steps in identifying your nutrient source you should be able to slowly eliminate the algae. Until then reducing your lighting schedule to 4 or less hours a day will at least help to keep it from spreading too quickly.

Best of luck and just remember to take your time and not rush things. Especially with such a small tank.

tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:37 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to elephantshoeyou
thanks! tommorow i'm going to get some r/o water from the fish store and do a water change and add some snails (using the said acclimation method). so to make it drip i start siphoning and then tie a knot? how do i go about doing that? also, do you think 5-10 turbo snails would be to many for a 12 gallon aquapod? i had 2 snails before so 5 or more seems like alot; i'm probably wrong though.

elephantshoeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 12:14 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
The number of snails really depends on how much food is available to them. You could just get 2 again and see how they do but I suspect you will probably need more. Also as long as they don’t die then they really have little affect on increasing nh3 within the tank.

Float the bag in the tank for 20 minutes to get the water up to tank temperature.
Gently place them into the 5 gal bucket making sure they are completely covered. Siphon the water from the tank into the bucket and tie a loose knot in the tube till you get around 2-4 drops per second. You basically don’t want it too fast that it defeats the purpose of drip acclimating but also fast enough that the water in the bucket is at least 3-4 times the original amount from the lfs after 4 hours of acclimating. Just check on it every ½ hour or so and adjust as needed.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote

dyi, dying, hermit, hermits, snail, snails, snails dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com