Hhhhhheeeeeelllllllpppppp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drbrown214

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have an issue and I am lost. My reef tank has bee doing great. All of my Shrooms and Brains and just everything is doing great. THey are growing and spreading nicely. I have no concerns whatsoever with those. I have been testing all water parameters and also, everything is good. My phos was a little high at one point but phos remover and water changes cleared that problem. I had, yes i say had, a nice tang, watchman goby, 2 clownfish, and a damsel and a sand sifter, cannot recall the names of the last 2. 4 cleaner shrimp, have a couple of turbo snails and hermits. So i brought a fish and Boom, ICH problem. OK cool. I treated my fish food with Garlic. Raised my temp from 75 to 81-82 and it seemed to go away. I bought No parasite or whatever it is called. I added that and within a day every single fish and shrimp was dead. First assumption was the product and i called the company and researched it and tested the parameters of the water so somehow i was able to rule that one out. Maybe something went toxic from the corals, but all of the snails survived. I am pretty sure that the snails are the first to go if something was toxic. I let the tank sink and added some cheap damsels to see how the tank was.. it is pretty mature, but both of them died within 2 days. i am not sure what it is that i can attempt. i have a silent killer in my tank and could not tell you where, why, how... i am ready to give up

did the meds have copper in it. if you have ich, in my experience is to let the tank set without fish for 8 weeks. ich does not harm inverts but the meds used to cure ich kill them. If you dip a fish in meds to cure ich and put it back in the tank you made the fish sick again. In my case in pulled fish out and quarenteened them. tried to treat with meds. they were to far gone. Then i let my tank set for 8 weeks with just coral and inverts, they were fine. I also installed a UV sterilizer and let it run for two weeks straight. I also cleaned my sand bed several times during water changes. After 8 weeks i added fish and have had no problems since. i

raising the temp to 82 won't do anything for ich. ich also didn't kill everything overnight. it was either the massive temperature spike you caused or that additive killed the fish. i'm leaning towards the additive because the new fish died immediately as well.

Thanks for your reply Doug. First off, there was no temperatur spike since the temperature was raised over time. Not to be rude but I am a Medical Technologist by trait and know A LOT about micro-organisms. I know that Ich did not kill the fish, if that was the case i would have not posted this here. Ichthyophthirius multifiliis is a protozoa that depends on temperature. The desired temperature for a Saltwater tank is the desired Temperature for Ich to complete a desired Life Cycle. A Micro-Organism can be "killed" by changing the parameters it desires. Raising the temperature will interrupt the life cycle and will prevent successful feeding. I tested the additive by placing a $3 Damsel in a tank and adding the Solution and the fish has been alive even after adding on a daily basis. So Mr X, I do appreciate your Post but please Do know what you are talking about if you want to help someone out. Scientifically speaking you do NOT know what you are talking about!

KSL1972, the product does not contain any Copper.

I do believe that I may have had a sudden drop in PH, which may have caused the death.

check the ph levels and if theyre off i use the kent ph buffer weather your high or low it will maintain an 8.3 ph. i have lost one fish so far a small 3 spot domino damsel as a marine biology major i disected him and found out that he choked on a pellet food. but anyways that was off topic. if the product conatined copper everything including snails would be dead since you use copper to get rid of nuissance snails in the first place. check the alkalinity and hardness of the water. i would recommend doing at least a 40% water change to get most of the meds out. also just a recommendation i have a 10 gallon hospital/quarantine tank. for all my new arrivals i put them there for at least a week minimum to make sure theyre healthy and eating also you can treat just a single fish in it so that you dont lose everything else in the process. go to petsmart for like 30-40 bucks you can get a 10g tank, canopy and filter. all you need after is sand and water. best 50 dollar investment ever!

Thanks for your reply Doug. First off, there was no temperatur spike since the temperature was raised over time. Not to be rude but I am a Medical Technologist by trait and know A LOT about micro-organisms. I know that Ich did not kill the fish, if that was the case i would have not posted this here. Ichthyophthirius multifiliis is a protozoa that depends on temperature. The desired temperature for a Saltwater tank is the desired Temperature for Ich to complete a desired Life Cycle. A Micro-Organism can be "killed" by changing the parameters it desires. Raising the temperature will interrupt the life cycle and will prevent successful feeding. I tested the additive by placing a $3 Damsel in a tank and adding the Solution and the fish has been alive even after adding on a daily basis. So Mr X, I do appreciate your Post but please Do know what you are talking about if you want to help someone out. Scientifically speaking you do NOT know what you are talking about!

KSL1972, the product does not contain any Copper.

I do believe that I may have had a sudden drop in PH, which may have caused the death.
you are the one killing fish, not me. maybe you need to go back to school. in the meantime, 82 degrees will not kill ich.

Mr x is right you can drop your salinity levels to 24 23 and parasites cannot survive but raising the temp will only make other parasitic organisms thrive. I'm going to school to be a marine biologist and I knew that.... Take a water sample to lfs maybe your missing something. You assume that your snails would die first but not in all cases so that's why we must not assume. You know the saying. When you get a second opinion on your water samples let is know and we can help you. I would advise you to chill with the arrogance. Remember you came here looking for help if you knew everything you wouldn't be here.

Back
Top Bottom