Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-18-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HI everyone! please give opinion/advice

hi i posted last week...last week i added a hippo tang and immaculate puffer to my 75 gal i have 2 clowns, sailfin and damsel...

the damsel was picking on the puffer so i gave it to my lfs

i had the water tested it was good... 3 days later i see 2 spots on the puffer...now just the puffer and hippo have ich... because my my amonia and nitrates went up... i did a 10 gal water change on sun 17th.. i had just done 20gals the week before... i also treated them w "kick ick" because i have hermit crabs and snails in the tank...i turned the heat up to 80 and the salt is on the low side.... anything elese i should do?///how long should it take before the spots go away.. i dont have a QT..it just seems to happen when i add new fish...i have 5 (2clowns, hippo, sailfin,puffer) and dont plan to get anymore but i was wondering why this happens..

what do you think about freshwater dip? SHould i do just the two fish that have it?

Joelle2149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
Thanx but no.....

Here comes the bad news.. You have ich in your tank BECAUSE you don't have a QT. Your ammonia probably went up because of the added bioload. You've now go ich in your tank. All the fish should be treated, the display left fallow (fishless) for (errr I always forget the length). Someone I know will post that most popular of links..

You got your fish from a system that had ich, your fish got stressed (hello damsel) and the fish couldn't stave off the parasite.. and wham...

Fact is that even if they hadn't gotten ich right now it was introduced to your system and there.. just waiting for some fish with a diminished capacity to latch onto ....

Always always always... did I say always..? QT

Freshwater dips work but the fish needs to then go into a QT/hospital tank until you can starve out the ich in your tank

CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
can you tell me how to set up a qt? what size? and what exactly to add?
Joelle2149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion
An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
Thanx but no.....

QT is just a mini version of your tank. saltwater, filter, flow.. cycled.... water changes, etc etc.. Then you treat your fish w/ meds in the QT and get them healed there...
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com