Hiding fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicksgirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
How long can a fish stay hidden and still be alive?

I have a yellow clown goby that has disappeared 4 days ago. I think he was afraid of the Gramma in my tank - but I was hoping he was in the rock someplace putting on weight and getting ready to defend himself!

Been testing for ammonia and I'm not seeing any evidence of decompostiion... WHere do they go? This is the second small fish I've had diappear without a trace. No carcass, no evidence...

very shy fish. i had a green clown goby that always hid. when feeding he would dart out real quick grab food and shoot back into hiding. regardless to say i got rid of him. whats the point of having fish if you can't see them? he will eat when he gets hungry enough which would be about now.

Grammas tend to be peaceful, I doubt your goby would pay it much attention. You stocking list looks pretty good too (fishwise, I don't know about your corals).
How big is he? 4 Days might not be that bad, yet. If he is small, he might be getting aquainted with his new mates and picking up scraps.
Do you soak in garlic? That seems to throw my tanks into a feeding frenzy (although, there is no real scientific proof, that it works).

I dont think you would notice much of a change if he did die in your tank. Esp. if you have a good clean up crew. I hope you are right and he is just hiding.

This is the second fish I've had that just disappeared. The first went missing about a month ago. It was a firefish (about 2.5 inches long). It was healthy and happy moving about the tank then just didnt' show up for dinner one day and hasn't been seen since.

The Goby was tiny. Maybe 1.5 inches while all the others are maybe around 3 inches. I saw the Gramma threaten him a couple of times but you're right - the Goby did ignore her. Still - you never know. I'm thinking of moving the Gramma to the prop tank.

Check carpeting for a fish that carpet surfed . Also check for a smiling cat that may have had a snack . Check the sump area for a fish that took a ride in the water slide . We had a fish die and by the time I realized it (8 hours later) he was cleaned up by the clean up crew. ....

Back
Top Bottom