high fin getting battered what to do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elke

Aquarium Advice Regular
just bought a high fin the other day and he's getting battered pretty bad not sure who's doing it but it seems to happen at night cuz threw the day he is left alone but this morning i woke up to see him worse i dont know what to do but i afraid of losing him need help possible fish hurting him are yellow tang, blue hippo tang and reef butterfly fish but the reef butterfly is 1/4 the size of the high fin what should i do

Actually if you still have it, the snowflake eel would be your biggest suspect. They are more commonly active a night and will hunt/scavange in burrows. I'm quite suprised you don't have a problem with the engineer as well. They will usually go carpet surfing if there's an eel in the tank.

Cheers
Steve

well steve i found the bad one it is the yellow tang my tang has issues with new fish no matter what species... but he is now getting better and the hinfin is doing better so far.... as for the snowflake eel he bothers nobody i'm so surprised about that he dont chase my chromis or damsels or any other fish he don"t even nip when really hungary he just swim by the front of the glass to let me know that he is hungary and as for carpet surfing what do you mean by that my gobby and eel live in the same burrow that the goby dug i have pics of them and there head sticking out the same hole side by side i think its the coolest thing but again their about the same size the eel got like 3 ins on the goby

elke said:
and as for carpet surfing what do you mean by that
Jumping out of the tank....

my gobby and eel live in the same burrow that the goby dug i have pics of them and there head sticking out the same hole side by side i think its the coolest thing but again their about the same size the eel got like 3 ins on the goby
Would love to see the pics. You are quite lucky, this is a very odd combination.

Cheers
Steve

Had to get rid of my snowflake as he was getting the munchies at night.

here you go steve its not the greatest photo took with my cell phone but its plain to see their both in the same burrow lol i think the goby eats he's leftovers not sure though

Attachments

• picture051.jpg
    picture051.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 42
You can see his nose sticking up to the right of the goby...

My SFE does not bother anyone either. From what I have read they have real bad eye sight and IMO they would have trouble catching most fish. My purple pseudochromis is always going into the den of the eel looking for scraps to eat.

Back
Top Bottom