Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-27-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Hippo ich? Need help!

So I've had a juvenile hippo tang for 2 weeks now. He's eating and swimming around. 2 days after I got him he developed a couple of spots on him but considering he was eating(mysis, krill, algae wafers all soaked in garlic guard) I'd just let it ride. 2 days later spots gone 3 days after that my 2 false perc clowns, hippo, and a Dalmatian damsel had spots on them. I started treating with reef safe ich attack by kordon which i have been dosing twice a day at 1.5x and the one clown and the hippo now have fuzzy tuffs on them. The clown just a little on his fins and a single white spot on his body but the hippo it's all along his belly and his tail fin looks feathered.

The tank is a 75 gallon reef by all glass with a 29 gal sump/refugium. 120 lbs of live sand and 100 lbs cured rock. Just did the vitals on tests and ammo/nitra/nitri all dead 0.0 and ph at 8.3. SG is 1.023 temp 78.1-78.6. Lighting by aqua light pro 150 mh. Ive just ordered a new skimmer an aquac ev-180 with a mag 9.5. But running a CSS 65( meds say no skimming during treatment) this tank has been running 6 weeks all rock and fish and corals were from my first tank just upgraded)

3 ph in tank 2-950gph 1-750 gph
So I've posted a couple of pics not too clear hard to catch a good one what do the have is it ich? Or is it something else now? It's fuzzy more than anything I think. I could be wrong who knows I just want to know if I'm wasting my money on the medication? Should I stop the med and put my skimmer back into action?

Reefnoob84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Ich isn't easy to treat and get rid of in a display tank. I found this one treatment someone has been doing but how effective it is remains to be seen since he has only been spot free for about 4 weeks No-Ich by FishVet, Inc. Some people use copper based meds but if you do that and want invertebrates later on in the tank it will create problems. Also use garlic and vitamins.

I don't know if that is ich or not by the pictures.

joy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
I have inverts and coral so I have to stick with reef safe and my lfs owner came by the house and said it wasn't ich it's a fungal issue. Now he has me dosing pimafix by API he told me it should clear up.
Reefnoob84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
The PIMAFIX is really really good for fungus. If your fish ever get open wounds or cloudy eye us MELAFIX.
crister13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just make sure to turn off the skimmer if you use them. Those bubbles can make a heluva mess!

"If your wife ever asks how much something was for your tank, just tell her you got it on sale and you had to have it! She'll understand"

Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote

hippo, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com