Hippo is not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

you&me

Aquarium Advice Regular
:( My hippo is not eating I dont know why she is hiding under the rock
I dont know why I'm thinking maybe because the coral beauty angel is keep taping on her behind. I give them live bran shrimp 2 times a day but everyone is eating but the hippo why is that? can someone tell me why please :cry: (I had yellow tang, p clown.) I just got the longnose b'fly, coral beauty, hippo, 2 lion, huma huma at once (11-23-04)
for my coming birthday

1-55g
huma huma
2 lion (died )

1-55g
yellow tang, p clown, longnose b'fly, coral beauty, hippo tang

I am concerned about your fish selection. The Yellow Tang & Longnose BFly are likely to disagree with each other. The addition of a hippo tang woudl be perceived as a competitive threat to theYellow Tang, especially in such a small tank (only 4 ft long). The Coral Beauty also is an algae grazer, so you have 3 algae grazing fish in a small glass box which normally would have a much larger area to defend in the wild. I think your Hippo is struggling to adapt to the situation.

Hippos are almost always very very shy fish, so don't get to concerned. Just keep a very close eye on the situation and be prepared to take action. It wouldn't be a bad idea to set up a 20 gallon long quarintine tank and get it seasoned, just in case you have to separate your fish.

MarkLehr said:
I am concerned about your fish selection. The Yellow Tang & Longnose BFly are likely to disagree with each other. The addition of a hippo tang woudl be perceived as a competitive threat to theYellow Tang, especially in such a small tank (only 4 ft long). The Coral Beauty also is an algae grazer, so you have 3 algae grazing fish in a small glass box which normally would have a much larger area to defend in the wild. I think your Hippo is struggling to adapt to the situation.

Hippos are almost always very very shy fish, so don't get to concerned. Just keep a very close eye on the situation and be prepared to take action. It wouldn't be a bad idea to set up a 20 gallon long quarintine tank and get it seasoned, just in case you have to separate your fish.

When I brought the fish the sale guy tell me they are o,k with eachother
hippo are comming aroud but she still not eating she may pick on live rock
but thats about all what would you do if you was me?
I did setup 30g and move the huma huma in there but do you think any of other fish woud get along If I move one of the fish from 55g?

It may take a few weeks for your Hippo to get real comfortable. It may eat better if you allow it to graze on sheets of algae during the day. You can buy freeze dried algae sheets. Attach them to a lettuce clip and allow your Hippo to eat when he pelases, rather than when you are near the tank.

I can not emphasize this enough: The key to saltwater is "Less is more." You should disturb the environment as little as possible. These fish get stressed easy and all the moving of fish and adding of fish and attempts to feed, as well as sitting close by the tank and looking in the glass is very stressful. Be patient. Let your fish adapt at their own pace. Small changes very rarely. Give them a lot of quite time at first until they are comfortable.

Also, do some serious research on compatability. Don't spend your money unless you have personal knowledge of compatability. Don't rely on LFS until you develop an earned trust level.

Two tangs in a 55 is a bit tight. Watch for signs of stress. Try soaking your food in garlic solution, like garlic extreme, to stimulate appatite. Hang Nori so the tangs can graze during the day. Feed a variety of foods and see what your fish like. Does the tang look okay? Any spots, faded color, labored breating, open sores or infections?

The longnose buttergly is yellow w/a flat body. The yellow tang will not like someone that looks even close to it's own body shape and color.

I'd also think you've got two many fish in a 55g - especially 2 w/similar shape and color.

First thing I'd do is put that LFS on the "suspect" list. That is, suspect anything they tell you to be suspicious and maybe not worth believing. Do some research on your own about compatability and adult fish size and what size tanks they should be in.

Pls do do not rely on that LFS for any more advice!

I'd be willing to bet also that your 55g w/the tangs may have nitrate issues unless all the fish are very small now. That won't last IMHO.

austinsdad said:
The longnose buttergly is yellow w/a flat body. The yellow tang will not like someone that looks even close to it's own body shape and color.

I'd also think you've got two many fish in a 55g - especially 2 w/similar shape and color.

First thing I'd do is put that LFS on the "suspect" list. That is, suspect anything they tell you to be suspicious and maybe not worth believing. Do some research on your own about compatability and adult fish size and what size tanks they should be in.

Pls do do not rely on that LFS for any more advice!

I'd be willing to bet also that your 55g w/the tangs may have nitrate issues unless all the fish are very small now. That won't last IMHO.

O,k I had to remove the longnose B'fly she has Ick and i move her to the HP tank
do you know any website that give info about fish compatability?
I do have books at home but they dont say anything about compatability.

If the Longnose Butterfly has ich, it is very very likely that your entire tank is infected, even if it is not showing up yet. Keep a very close eye on this, especially your Yellow Tang, which is extremely suceptable to ich anyhow.

MarkLehr said:
If the Longnose Butterfly has ich, it is very very likely that your entire tank is infected, even if it is not showing up yet. Keep a very close eye on this, especially your Yellow Tang, which is extremely suceptable to ich anyhow.

yap you all are right they all got it. :evil: I remove all the fish In to HP tank (thing is I have 2 - 10G HP tank I hope they dont fight
I put coral beauty, p clown, yellow tang in one of the 10-g HP and other
are longnose B'fly, yellow damsel, yellow tail damsel, blue tang (please tell me If I need to move fish ) or since you know what I have in my HP tell me wich one I can put it with what (since HP tang is so small)
were ich com from?
what about the shrimp? do I have to remove him to?

PLEASE HELP ME :cry:

Shrimp crabs and snails cannot get ick. They're OK.

Howya plan on treating in the QT? If w/copper, the shrimps etc wouldn't live thru it. Check ut the "Articles" section. There's something there I'm sure you could use.

austinsdad said:
Shrimp crabs and snails cannot get ick. They're OK.

Howya plan on treating in the QT? If w/copper, the shrimps etc wouldn't live thru it. Check ut the "Articles" section. There's something there I'm sure you could use.

shrimp to? I have coral banded shrimp and damsel was in the 10g HP tank I been puting copper at less 3 Time Hafe cap full during pass 4months If that's true how come that shrimp is still live? and he is bigger then ever :roll: :drinking:

Dunno how the shrimp is making it. Maybe I got it wrong, but I thought snails, crabs, starfish and shrimp couldn't deal w/copper.

austinsdad said:
Dunno how the shrimp is making it. Maybe I got it wrong, but I thought snails, crabs, starfish and shrimp couldn't deal w/copper.

I greed with snails, starfish I remamber 3 months ago I put burgandy star in the 10g Hp gust what the body every were so Now I know not to put star fish in it I know one thing shrimp must know that yellow tang is sick He keep tacking her so anyone want that shrimp It's FREE shrimp is about 2" long and he dont have ick :evil:

Back
Top Bottom