Hippo Tang death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HappyHooligan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I find my H. Tang laying on his side dead
Everyone else in the tank is business as usual. ( 90g, 1 clown, crab, shrimp. thats all)
He was fine yesterday, been in the tank 2 weeks, QT'd for 3 weeks prior to that. I wasn't real impressed with his eating though.

Water Para. all good except PH which read 8.8, up from 8.4. Not sure when or how suddenly that happened.
Added a new skimmer a week or so ago, sifted some sand a couple days ago, I took my lids off 4 days ago.
I know Hippos are rather delicate to sudden changes, I'm assuming it was the increase in Ph.
Any ideas?

The tank has only been up and running a few months, is it possible to still get some fluctuations in water parameters?

The tank has only been up and running a few months, is it possible to still get some fluctuations in water parameters?

Very much so. It`s hard to say what was the culprit. Did you see any white spots on him or see him flashing on any of the LR.

Did you see any white spots on him or see him flashing on any of the LR.
No, not at all. Being a Hippo Tang I watched his skin obsessively since moving him to the DT. His swimming appeared normal. It was a total surprise finding him in trouble like that.

How much sand did you clean/sift?
maybe 15% of the total bottom surface. I just straightened a coat hanger and kind of perforated the sand.

I can't help but think the tank is still, I don't want to say cycling, but "settling" or "stabilizing"?
I removed all the lids which caused alot of evaporation. Maybe just a lot of changes coming together at one time to stress him.

Back
Top Bottom