Hippo Tang I believe has come down with Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkimball

Aquarium Advice Regular
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389399993.047493.jpg

I just started to notice a few white spots on the fish, I have him in a 125 gallon, 0 nitrite, ph 8.2, salinity 1.025, small trace of ammonia, I run a UV Sterlizer, sump system, how do I treat him? He looks healthy, eating fine, active. I have corals in the tank as well

Doesn't look like he has anything wrong but its kind of a blurry photo. If he does have ich, raise temperature of tank to 86° moving 1° per hour. Then add some salt in your tank. If you are at 1.025 salinity, bring it up to 1.028 or so. Make sure your other fish aren't stressing. Leave it this way for 10 days. Do a 25% water change every day for the 10 days and make sure to clean your substrate. Ich eggs live in your sand bed. Also wouldn't hurt to get some ich medicine from your LFS. Add to tank every day until 6 days after the spots disappear.

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

None of those above options work for saltwater fish, only freshwater.
There are only two ways, and two ways only to get rid of ich:
Hyposlainity and copper.
Thats it. Anything else is just asking for trouble,.

You also need a hospital tank. I'm fighting ich right now, and I was pretty upset to learn how different freshwater and marine ich are.

I used my suggestion in my display tank and did just fine. So i'd say it works.

Purple, your fish may have been strong enough to have rid themselves of it, but again, that's a treatment for freshwater ich. Look up marine ich online.

Right, but that alone or with hypersalinity isn't enough. Also, I'm fairly certain no matter what's done, a QT/Hospital tank is needed.

Keep him fed and he can beat it make sure he is eating

I wish you people would stop saying it doesn't help when I'm sitting here with success doing this. Guess what...it helped!

Purple, again, it's very situation specific. I've heard people say garlic worked, I've heard absolutely ridiculous things that did work, but for a majority won't.

Exactly. So let him figure out what works for him from our suggestions rather than trying to tell him stuff doesn't work.

Purple, I'm saying the most efficient way for him to treat this as soon as possible is a copper treatment. There's tons of articles online that advocate that hypo salinity or copper are the easiest routes to take. If he just raised the temperature and the ich didn't die, he'd have a disaster on his hands

Back
Top Bottom