hippo tang-ich magnet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artur

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everybody.I have a question. 3 days ago i bought a blue hippo tang(called regal, pallete tang too) Right now he is in my QT tank.Will stay there for 3,4 weeks.I read many times on that forum that he is a ich magnet. I do not treat fishes in QT until i see signs of sickness.But since he is such a magnet for ich should i do copper or hyposalnity to reduce danger of infecting display tank? What is your sugestion?Thank you!!!!

I wouldn't treat unless it's necessary. I'd just keep him in QT for about 6 weeks to be sure no signs of ich show up. If nothing shows by then, you know he's not infected and can be added to the main tank.

I did exactly what Cindy suggested and it's been in my tank for about 6 months now with no signs of Ich. Just be sure to keep the water paramters very high in the QT tank.

Same as Fluff and cmor, I always qt'ed any new fish, but only treated when I saw a problem.
I am now rethinking that strategy. I qt'ed my white face tang when I got it and it showed no problems at all. It was always very active and the 1st to feed....right up until the day (yesterday) it died. It was in my main tank about 5-6 months. I noticed after a few months that even tho is was active and eating alot...and I mean a real lot, it wasn't gaining weight. When it finally died, the stomach was full and bulging as always, but there was no "meat" on it. Very skinny. I believe it had internal parasites. There were no outward signs and nothing to tell me while it was in qt that it needed any treatment. I think from now on, I will treat any new fish in qt. for parasites.

On the other side of the fence, I always treat with hyposalinity and deworm (moreso for predatory fishes) regardless of whether there are signs.

I hypo everything also.

Hey Artur, what all you have in your tank now? Any updated pics?

James, how long do you do hypo and at what level?

James, how long do you do hypo and at what level?

I perform hypo just under the standard 16ppt (1.009), around 14ppt? I do so for at least 14 days depending on the progression. Other species of Cryptocaryon have reported to tolerate almost pure freshwater conditions so eventually there might come a point where chemicals may have to be used in the future. Hypo eliminates Crypt, but not necessarily other parasites.

I hypo everything also.

Hey Artur, what all you have in your tank now? Any updated pics?
No Captain.For the last 2,3 months i bought maybe 2 corals,maroon clown and a week ago blue hippo tang (now in the QT) looks really good so i do not know if i should treat him with enything.So my tank did not change a lot but i'm happy everything looks good.We try to save some money because on the end of the week we might have our first baby!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

No reason, I just couldn't remember what you had stocked in there. Congrats on the baby. If you thought this was an expensive hobby... LOOK OUT.

Me, I do it just to be safe. generally I take a week moving it down to 009/010 range. then hypo for 7-10 days for observation. If I notice anything odd then it stay for 2-3 weeks more. Then a week of bringing it back up. I should do that parasite thing too, once the SG gets back up but by then my patience has worn let alone the kid and the fish's.

Thank god I don't buy that many new anymore.

I never treat with any meds during hypo.. and never hypo anything but fish

Back
Top Bottom