Hippo Tang Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marinefishman

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a Hippo Tang that seems to be losing her color on her head. The color looks grey. She is acting normal and eating fine. Is she sick???:confused:

Sounds like hlle "head and lateral line erosion". Search this term online to see if this is what it has :)

As has been suggested before, you might want to look at your stocking levels and what you are feeding each of the many species that are in that tank. I see in yet another thread you're now asking about adding a cowfish to this mix. We've gone thru 2 Tang posts, a Angel post, a cowfish post. All asking the same question and ending with the same answer.

55 gallon saltwater tank with these fish: A Juvenile Yellow tang, kole tang, regal tang, porcupine puffer, niger trigger, pair of clowns, damsel, pearlscale butterfly, and a striped blenny.

You can ask about fish but you should be asking about small fish. If you look on Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums or saltwaterfish.com it will give you suggested minimum tank sizes. You really need to stick to something that is going to fit in your tank. It's not a good idea to buy big fish and get rid of them when they get to large. And adding more fish is assuming your taking out all the fish you talked about in the cowfish thread. I know you like your puffer but he will probably need a tank upgrade in the near future if you want to keep him happy and health.

i agree, you need to step back from the tank a little bit and admire it. (obiously still do all the matinence and help the hippo and whatnot). but take those fish back for credit and get some more appropriate fish. (not a cowfish, or tang, or any of those). maybe a nice dwarf angle or some other smaller fish. putting a fish in too small of a tank only stresses it out and you are seeing results of that now with your tang. illness will occour when stressed.

Reminder:
Juvenile Yellow tang: 100g
kole tang: 70g
regal tang: 70g
porcupine puffer: 90g
niger trigger: 70g

pair of clowns: 30g
damsel: 30g
pearlscale butterfly: 70g
striped blenny: 30g

just friendly advice.
Good Luck!

Thanks for the info everyone. I will use it. All the stuff you guys said is true. I Am going to do what I am supposed to do. Or have to do. I am thinking about upgrading actually. So I will use the info and try to help my tang get better. Hopefully she will be okay!

Back
Top Bottom