Hippo Tang scratching himself against rock...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pittchic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My hippo tang has been repeatedly scratching himself against a piece of live rock the past few days. Has anyone ever saw a fish do this before? I wonder why it's doing that?

How long has he been in the tank? Any spots or blemishes? Did you qt him before adding?
Could be ich. Flashig (scratching) is a sign of irratation and these fish are ich magnets.

I`ve seen my fish scratch on rocks and they did not have ick. Not to say that yours don`t. Keep a close eye on him and if you see small white parasites that look like salt grains then you have ick and must treat. Hopefully he just has an itch :wink:

My convict tang has been doing the same thing lately. I don't see any little white spots, but there are a few spots on him that look like he rubbed on my LR or something. They kind of look like what a butterfly looks like when you touch it and smudge the "powder" on them..... Any ideas?

I have no idea... its really weird though. I mean, I know there's not powder or anything like that on the fish, but thats just kind of the best way for me to describe the look.

Back
Top Bottom