Hippo tang stuck to powehead. HELP HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonnypro

Aquarium Advice Freak
I woke up to find out my hippo tank was stuck to the powerhead. I took him off and he swam away. He had lost some of his color. He was very weak and got stuck against my back overflow. I put him in my sump where there is not a lot if flow and he has been in there for 10 hrs. He was laying on the sant in his side. He is still very disoriented. What can I do???? Please help me. I have pics if you want me to upload. He goes up to the surface and like spits water up.

I woke up to find out my hippo tank was stuck to the powerhead. I took him off and he swam away. He had lost some of his color. He was very weak and got stuck against my back overflow. I put him in my sump where there is not a lot if flow and he has been in there for 10 hrs. He was laying on the sant in his side. He is still very disoriented. What can I do???? Please help me. I have pics if you want me to upload. He goes up to the surface and like spits water up.

Well if a fish is getting stuck on the overflow I'd say it was already sickly and not doing well. A healthy fish should have no problem swimming away from the intake. What size tank is it? How long have you had the hippo? Does he appear to have any issues; cloudy eyes, spots, white fungus, etc. If you could post your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate results that would help to.

I agree that if he cant escape a power head then he is bad off anyway. You'll need to find iut what is wrong with him.

Well if a fish is getting stuck on the overflow I'd say it was already sickly and not doing well. A healthy fish should have no problem swimming away from the intake. What size tank is it? How long have you had the hippo? Does he appear to have any issues; cloudy eyes, spots, white fungus, etc. If you could post your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate results that would help to.
I just got him on Sunday along with a yellow tang. The tank is a135g with a 49g sump/fugue. He was fine up until I saw him sucked into the power head. He made it through the day and I have him in a 1 gallon in my sump with a drip coming from my main tank so all the levels stay good in the 1 gallon for him. I will attach a pic so you know what I am talking about. His fin is moving but he is laying down on his side. All colors are somewhat back to normal. Ph 8.2 ammonia 0 rites rates are 5.0

Pics
aBRdD1C.jpg
b2BenBJ.jpg
DajcINg.jpg

He's very malnourished, and has HLLE (head and lateral line erosion), which is thought to be from not eating. I would not be keeping him in a plastic container void of moving water (and oxygen). At least increase the drip in there substantially.
I'd be trying to feed him highly nutritious stuff, perhaps live, like black worms or similar.

He's very malnourished, and has HLLE (head and lateral line erosion), which is thought to be from not eating. I would not be keeping him in a plastic container void of moving water (and oxygen). At least increase the drip in there substantially. I'd be trying to feed him highly nutritious stuff, perhaps live, like black worms or similar.
i thing he is dead. This is my first casualty. I always have a veggie clip in there. I have a population of pods in the sump that sometimes make it to the main display. I feed twice a day.

It was plucked right from the ocean and put in your tank, by way of a few holding facilities and a LFS. Many fish do not eat off of a veggie clip right off the bat. It's nothing you did, but HLLE is very common in tangs.
Next time purchase some live food if you intend to take another thin tang home, just in case.
Tangs don't eat pods.

I've heard that small Tangs tend to not do as well too. How is the Yellow doing?
yellow tang is doing very well. But he keeps looking for his buddy. I have some green hair algae and they both would rip at it. The only weird thing that he was doing was he would go sideways and to try to like scrap his side. It was weird.

That is flashing and can be from stress or something like Ich where there is an irritant that the are trying to scrape off. Keep a close eye on it...

That is flashing and can be from stress or something like Ich where there is an irritant that the are trying to scrape off. Keep a close eye on it...
it was also said it was to mark there territory. He only did it on a certain rock. He is no longer with us.

another small step you can take in the future is if you see a fish you want to purchase at the LFS, ask them to feed him. I always do this to ensure they are adjusting to tank life and are still eating. if the fish doesn't eat, either find another one or simply come back the next day and try again. I agree with Mr. X in that he looked moderately malnourished. you can see where his belly is sunken in on the very bottom right behind his gill. also id recommend quarantining any fish you buy, especially hippo tangs, for 4-6 weeks to ensure they are free of disease

Back
Top Bottom