Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hippo tang stuck to powehead. HELP HELP

I woke up to find out my hippo tank was stuck to the powerhead. I took him off and he swam away. He had lost some of his color. He was very weak and got stuck against my back overflow. I put him in my sump where there is not a lot if flow and he has been in there for 10 hrs. He was laying on the sant in his side. He is still very disoriented. What can I do???? Please help me. I have pics if you want me to upload. He goes up to the surface and like spits water up.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnypro View Post
I woke up to find out my hippo tank was stuck to the powerhead. I took him off and he swam away. He had lost some of his color. He was very weak and got stuck against my back overflow. I put him in my sump where there is not a lot if flow and he has been in there for 10 hrs. He was laying on the sant in his side. He is still very disoriented. What can I do???? Please help me. I have pics if you want me to upload. He goes up to the surface and like spits water up.
Well if a fish is getting stuck on the overflow I'd say it was already sickly and not doing well. A healthy fish should have no problem swimming away from the intake. What size tank is it? How long have you had the hippo? Does he appear to have any issues; cloudy eyes, spots, white fungus, etc. If you could post your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate results that would help to.

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree that if he cant escape a power head then he is bad off anyway. You'll need to find iut what is wrong with him.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Well if a fish is getting stuck on the overflow I'd say it was already sickly and not doing well. A healthy fish should have no problem swimming away from the intake. What size tank is it? How long have you had the hippo? Does he appear to have any issues; cloudy eyes, spots, white fungus, etc. If you could post your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate results that would help to.
I just got him on Sunday along with a yellow tang. The tank is a135g with a 49g sump/fugue. He was fine up until I saw him sucked into the power head. He made it through the day and I have him in a 1 gallon in my sump with a drip coming from my main tank so all the levels stay good in the 1 gallon for him. I will attach a pic so you know what I am talking about. His fin is moving but he is laying down on his side. All colors are somewhat back to normal. Ph 8.2 ammonia 0 rites rates are 5.0
Old 11-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pics
Old 11-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
He's very malnourished, and has HLLE (head and lateral line erosion), which is thought to be from not eating. I would not be keeping him in a plastic container void of moving water (and oxygen). At least increase the drip in there substantially.
I'd be trying to feed him highly nutritious stuff, perhaps live, like black worms or similar.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
He's very malnourished, and has HLLE (head and lateral line erosion), which is thought to be from not eating. I would not be keeping him in a plastic container void of moving water (and oxygen). At least increase the drip in there substantially. I'd be trying to feed him highly nutritious stuff, perhaps live, like black worms or similar.
i thing he is dead. This is my first casualty. I always have a veggie clip in there. I have a population of pods in the sump that sometimes make it to the main display. I feed twice a day.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
It was plucked right from the ocean and put in your tank, by way of a few holding facilities and a LFS. Many fish do not eat off of a veggie clip right off the bat. It's nothing you did, but HLLE is very common in tangs.
Next time purchase some live food if you intend to take another thin tang home, just in case.
Tangs don't eat pods.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've heard that small Tangs tend to not do as well too.

How is the Yellow doing?
Old 11-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
I've heard that small Tangs tend to not do as well too. How is the Yellow doing?
yellow tang is doing very well. But he keeps looking for his buddy. I have some green hair algae and they both would rip at it. The only weird thing that he was doing was he would go sideways and to try to like scrap his side. It was weird.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com