Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2004, 06:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hippo Tang with Amyloodinium HELP!!!

My Hippo came out for the first time today, he has been hiding all day so far. He's got alot of very tiny white specks all over his body, I believe it is Amyloodinium.

He looked fine yesterday and the rest of my fish seem ok.

I dont have any medication now and the LFS is closed what do I do?

Thanks,
Rich

Old 03-21-2004, 06:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I would do a temperature and ph adjusted freshwater dip and get him in a hospital tank if you have one. first thing tomorrow get some copper (cupramine worked well for me), a proper test kit and begin treatment in the hospital tank. Do you have other fish? If it is velvet, they will become infected too. You will need to remove and treat them as well. This disease kills fast, I would move.
Good luck.

Old 03-21-2004, 08:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks quarryshark.

Yes I do have other fish, i've never seen velvet before so I wanna make sure that is it before I do anything.

Does anybody have any pics or links that can help me?

Thanks,
Rich
Old 03-21-2004, 09:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

It can be beaten, I just went though it. Get you fish out into quarantine, treat with cupramine with seachems test kit. Leave the tank fallow of fish for at least 6 weeks, inverts are OK. Increase the temp in the tank to 83-85 this will quicken the parasites life cycle.
Go here and also read the faq, they are very helpful.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/amylloodiniumart.htm
I lost 3 fish and then followed the above treatment and everything is fine now.
Let me know if you need anything.
Kurt
Old 03-21-2004, 09:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I put the hippo in quarantine but thats the only other tank I have and its only 10gal. The display tank is a 65gal, and I dont have any other tank for the rest of the fish...a good size volitan, and 4 damsels and no more filtration.

Thanks,
Rich
Old 03-22-2004, 02:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Bought Seachem's Cupramine and treated the QT tank as directed, how soon after do I test the copper level?

Also now in my display tank the volitan went in to hiding behind a rock, not normal behavier for him. Could it be from the refuge/sump being shut down over night do to low water level(needed water to fill the QT).

Everything is up and running as of noon, the damsels and shrimp seem to be fine

Thanks,
Rich
Old 03-22-2004, 04:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rich,
You better check close, your volition may have it too. This stuff is nasty. IF possible, you may want to get another 10 gallon ( i ended up with 3 qt tanks) and treat the other fish too. Without fish hosts in you main for 6 weeks, the parasite will go through its life cycle and die. With fish hosts, it will remain
As far as testing, did you get Seachems test kit? I tried 2 others with bum readings, seachems works great with Cupramine though. You can order it here
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=SC4137
You need to test now and keep the level a .50 for it to be effective.
Its a pain I know, but worth it when you see them recover.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was able to feed the volitan and he came out for about 20min. or so then went back behind the rock. I got a good look at him and there was no distinct spots on him and his breathing was normal.

Yes I was able to get Seachem's Cupramine and Copper MultiTest kit.

quarryshark,
Thanks for all your help so far, hope you'll keep checking this post cause I know i'll have more questions.

Thanks,
Rich
Old 03-22-2004, 05:14 PM   #9

IME and it was very recent..Oodinium wastes no time in taking out your fish. I'd yank all the fish ASAP and treat them immediately..I myself wasn't as lucky as QuarryShark..I lost everyone of my fish..Grant it, it was only 5 but they were all gone in 1 weeks time..If you read up on it Oodinium spots don't always show up right away..I'm willing to bet that since your hippo was in the tank with it..Its already in your main tank now. Hope you get everything under control.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with Gotz_potential, I did loose 3 fish myself, no fun. 2 had no spots at all. One day they were fine, the next on their sides breathing heavy and soon dead. I would get the rest out somehow and treat them too.

Tags
hippo, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com