Hippo Tang with Amyloodinium HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acid_burn

Aquarium Advice Activist
My Hippo came out for the first time today, he has been hiding all day so far. He's got alot of very tiny white specks all over his body, I believe it is Amyloodinium.

He looked fine yesterday and the rest of my fish seem ok.

I dont have any medication now and the LFS is closed what do I do?

Thanks,
Rich

I would do a temperature and ph adjusted freshwater dip and get him in a hospital tank if you have one. first thing tomorrow get some copper (cupramine worked well for me), a proper test kit and begin treatment in the hospital tank. Do you have other fish? If it is velvet, they will become infected too. You will need to remove and treat them as well. This disease kills fast, I would move.
Good luck.

Thanks quarryshark.

Yes I do have other fish, i've never seen velvet before so I wanna make sure that is it before I do anything.

Does anybody have any pics or links that can help me?

Thanks,
Rich

It can be beaten, I just went though it. Get you fish out into quarantine, treat with cupramine with seachems test kit. Leave the tank fallow of fish for at least 6 weeks, inverts are OK. Increase the temp in the tank to 83-85 this will quicken the parasites life cycle.
Go here and also read the faq, they are very helpful.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/amylloodiniumart.htm
I lost 3 fish and then followed the above treatment and everything is fine now.
Let me know if you need anything.
Kurt

I put the hippo in quarantine but thats the only other tank I have and its only 10gal. The display tank is a 65gal, and I dont have any other tank for the rest of the fish...a good size volitan, and 4 damsels and no more filtration.

Thanks,
Rich

Bought Seachem's Cupramine and treated the QT tank as directed, how soon after do I test the copper level?

Also now in my display tank the volitan went in to hiding behind a rock, not normal behavier for him. Could it be from the refuge/sump being shut down over night do to low water level(needed water to fill the QT).

Everything is up and running as of noon, the damsels and shrimp seem to be fine :?: :?

Thanks,
Rich

Rich,
You better check close, your volition may have it too. This stuff is nasty. IF possible, you may want to get another 10 gallon ( i ended up with 3 qt tanks) and treat the other fish too. Without fish hosts in you main for 6 weeks, the parasite will go through its life cycle and die. With fish hosts, it will remain
As far as testing, did you get Seachems test kit? I tried 2 others with bum readings, seachems works great with Cupramine though. You can order it here
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=SC4137
You need to test now and keep the level a .50 for it to be effective.
Its a pain I know, but worth it when you see them recover.

I was able to feed the volitan and he came out for about 20min. or so then went back behind the rock. I got a good look at him and there was no distinct spots on him and his breathing was normal.

Yes I was able to get Seachem's Cupramine and Copper MultiTest kit.

quarryshark,
Thanks for all your help so far, hope you'll keep checking this post cause I know i'll have more questions.

Thanks,
Rich

IME and it was very recent..Oodinium wastes no time in taking out your fish. I'd yank all the fish ASAP and treat them immediately..I myself wasn't as lucky as QuarryShark..I lost everyone of my fish..Grant it, it was only 5 but they were all gone in 1 weeks time..If you read up on it Oodinium spots don't always show up right away..I'm willing to bet that since your hippo was in the tank with it..Its already in your main tank now. Hope you get everything under control.

I agree with Gotz_potential, I did loose 3 fish myself, no fun. 2 had no spots at all. One day they were fine, the next on their sides breathing heavy and soon dead. I would get the rest out somehow and treat them too.

If I buy another tank for QT, is a beginner setup with a small cheap hang on back filter enough?

For instance a 10gal kit from Walmart or such?

Thanks,
Rich

Well now the volitan seems to breathing a little heavier, do you think I can QT the lion with the hippo? The lion is about 4-6" and the hippo is about 4". This would all be in a 10gal. hex tank.

Thanks,
Rich

The 10 will work, a 20 would be better. You will need to do daily water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels down. The copper will kill any nitrifying bacteria .
I would move the volitan into the 10 for now.

I've actually added more Cupramine than directed and still got no reading with the test :? ....no blue tint at all. What gives?

Thanks,
Rich

Did it come with a test reagent?
The first day 1/2 dose, that may be why (2 drops per gallon)
Take a small ( 1 gallon) container and dose it full strength ( 4 drops) and try testing it .

Yes, it came with Copper #1 and Copper #2 reagents. For the first dose it tells you to add 1mL per 10.5gal. of water, mine is a 10gal. with a wet/dry filter that houses about 4-5gal. of H20. So I added about 1.5mL so far and still no reading today. Also the tang seems to have better color today and less spots, but he is still breathing heavy.

Should I add more Cupramine?

I also bought a 30gal tank that I am setting up to QT all my fish, so my tank will then be fallow.

Thanks,
Rich

Keep in mind you'll have to keep the tank fallow now for at least 8 weeks to make sure the parasite is gone..If it makes you feel any better I just finished week 1 of being fallow I have 7 more weeks to go myself. You don't wanna risk putting the fish back in to early. Glad to hear you got the 30gal.

Great on the 30 gallon. I would try testing the test kit on a gallon of water in some kind of container. You may have a bum test kit. Proper level is important, too much copper will kill the fish, not enough won't kill the parasite.

I just tested the cupramine on a gallon of tap water and it was in the blue.

So should I add .5mL to the tank?

Is it possible I am filtering it out with my wet/dry?

Thanks,
Rich

I would think the only way you could be filtering it out is if you have carbon in there.

Back
Top Bottom