Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2005, 05:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Syn6644
Hitchhiker stole starfish arm

Hey you guys! I just wanted to say that you all know so much! I've had so many questions already answered by you geniouses, so thanks again!

Anywho, I've had my tank a little over a year now, and with the liverock that I got immediately after I set it up, I noticed a couple of hairy crabs. One was a little big, maybe 2 1/2 inches across, and red. It looked interesting so I kept it. Big mistake on my part, I know.

Well, today I bought a couple of brittle stars and one was sitting beside one part of the LR for the longest time..when I came back, it finally decided to run across the tank and I discovered that it was now missing an arm. I looked where it had been and ladida, there was that hairy crab, chopped the arm clean down the middle.(Hopefully the star will be okay) So my question is, what do I do with this little nuisance? I would feel bad taking him out and killing him, is there anything else I can do with him? I don't have a fuge or sump up, so that wouldn't be an option. TIA

1 Bi-color Blenny
1 Scissortail
Several hermits
Several snails
2xSmall Brittle Stars
1xFrogspawn, 1xStarburst
2 PHs
Aqua C skimmer
2x96 watt Current CF
Syn6644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

You might find an LFS that would take him...other than that, maybe ebay? Wouldn't be worth much, but at least you could find him a home that way.

I caught mine using the tilted bottle method....worked great. I caught both of mine within 10 minutes. Good luck!

Old 11-15-2005, 05:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Syn6644
Great, thanks Nate! I'll try the bottle method as soon as I get a bottle. =) As soon as I do that, I'll see if the LFS will take him. That's a really good idea. He's pretty cool looking, hopefully they'll adopt him.
1 Bi-color Blenny
1 Scissortail
Several hermits
Several snails
2xSmall Brittle Stars
1xFrogspawn, 1xStarburst
2 PHs
Aqua C skimmer
2x96 watt Current CF
Syn6644 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitchhiker, starfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com