Hmmm...sounds fishy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImLookinForNemo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was just wondering if any of you have ever bought saltwater fish from a large corporation type pet store that does not specialize in just SW fish or even in just fish...i.e. Petco or Petsmart?? I'm not planning on it, but when I was there today buying dog food I saw some perculas and damsels in a few tanks they have near the freshwater fish. They're cheaper and advertised as aquacultured, but do you guys think they are as healthy as fish you would get at a place specializing in SW fish and SW tanks? Or do you think they would be low quality?

Can't tell - it depends on a lot of things regarding where they got them, how well they care for them, etc.

My guess is though that you are probably better off finding a good LFS who maintains a large variety of SW fish, they are likely to be better shoppers themselves and are more likely to care for their stock better and also more likley to support you if you need it. Paying a little more in such a case is generally worth it.

Just my thoughts.

Tom

I have 2 blue damsels and a perc from petsmart. the damsels have been on the reef for 2 months.. no problems very healthy and active. the perc is only 2 weeks old but same for him as well so far.. you can't beat the price and just make sure you buy them shortly after they arive, or the same day if possible. they will tell you when they come in. also visit the store for a while to see if they have any days were there are no fish in the tanks also look for fancy fish that don't sell so fast and see how they are doing. I buy all my other stuff from the good LFS's downtown but I don't get there that often..
good luck..

Hmmm,

I thought the object was not to buy fish as soon as they arrive. For the following reasons - waiting :

1.) Reduces stress by allowing fish to regain strength, etc after shipping to LFS
2.) Ensures that fish is disease free
3.) Ensures that the fish has acclimated behaviorally to cpativity and is eating

Tom

fish...

hmmmm... TheMadNucleus doesn't sound so mad on this one... some fish stores, and I mean just a few, will not sell fish the same day they get them just to make sure they aren't going to sell something sick or that will die that day. Most suppliers have some sort of guaruntee so if a fish died the same day in the pet store they are usually covered... Most pet stores however... sell stuff without ever looking at it... They show up in the morning, scoop out any dead fish they see, and sell, sell, sell without a single care.... You can get really great fish from the crappiest place on earth and you can get really crappy fish from the best place... Just make sure you examine that tank really well.. If you can find a lfs that you really trust that is always the best place to go... wherever you buy from I would ask up front what kind of guaruntee they have.... I also believe we should live within our means so if cheap is what you need than go for it... just be cautious....

Back
Top Bottom