Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2004, 08:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to cajunbaby75
HMMMMM........ STUMPED fish still with ich after hyposaliny

i have a question i have been fighting ich with hyposalinty for the past 3 weeks all fish in QT, display tank empty except for snails and LR salinty at 1.010 problem is i went away this weekend and now spots are back <there were not there for 3 weeks> so can i safely leave the fish in QT at low salinty with out hurting them for another 4 weeks? any other suggestions i had a problem with juvi imporer sorta"paralized" last 2 weeks <color also all off> he is doing better today please advise

Old 01-18-2004, 08:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You might have to try medication if the hyposalinity isn't working...

Old 01-18-2004, 08:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
What are you using to measure SG? I wouldn't trust any of the plastic swing arm ever again since I've noticed how far off it was after I got my refractometer.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

a refractometer that i purchaced when i started this god forsaken battle with evil
Old 01-18-2004, 10:09 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
a refractometer that i purchaced when i started this god forsaken battle with evil
LOL, I sympathize btdt

I am uncertain how much difference it would make....but hyposalinity calls for 1.009 (12ppt salinity), and calls for a refractometer for exactness. Could be it simply wasn't low enough.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Old 01-19-2004, 03:13 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lets talk about the salinity rather than the specific gravity. Specific gravity is influenced by water temperature so salinity is a much more accurate measurement. What salinity are you keeping the water at? Have you tested the salinity (not SG) every day during treatment? What was the highest reading during that period? Are you checking the pH every day?
Terry B
Old 01-19-2004, 09:25 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry B
Specific gravity is influenced by water temperature so salinity is a much more accurate measurement.
Most of the quality refractometers are not dependent on water temp for a reading of SG. I would recommend a good refractomerter to anyone in this hobby!

I was thinking the same thing as reefrunner, maybe it just wasn't low enough or your measurements of SG were not accurate. I would try re-calibrating your refractometer again with some ro/di water to make sure it's set accurately
Old 01-19-2004, 02:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

yes terry i have been checking the ph with is 8.0-8.3 and SG has been at 1.011 the highest which i lowered it back to 1.009 and not to upset anyone i would rather not have terry answer any off my post due to him "talking down to me" i stopped coming due to your ill manner last time i would appericate you keeping your advice to yourself and again thanks but no thanks !!

i had re-calibrated refractometer with RO/DI water BEFORE use so i know it is set reefrunner& jamal as far as medications go im not to sure on what, do you think because of the immune systems being low is the reason for the outbreak again i mean by now i have completed enough time for 3 life cycles of ich ? please advise
thanks guys!!!
Old 01-19-2004, 03:08 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Most of the quality refractometers are not dependent on water temp for a reading of SG
This is true, the newer refractometers have ATC, but the sample used to calibrate it, should be the same temp as the sample being tested.

Also, if the tank was not left at 12ppt (as water evaporated the salinity would go up and I assume that is the reason it is higher now) it would not have as large an effect on the ick. If you want to go with meds, then the salinity should be slowly brought back to normal reef salinity (or slightly lower) 32-35ppt and treat with >>cupramine<< at the prescribed dosage.

Quote:
Cupramine™ effectively eradicates ectoparasite of both freshwater and marine fish. It has all the advantages of copper sulfate and chelated copper, but not the disadvantages. Like copper sulfate, it is fully ionic and effective at low concentrations. The cupric (Cu+2) charge is fully active. Like chelates, it is safe for fish and it is not precipitated in the filter bed. Unlike both, there is more than a 4x concentration gap between the minimal therpeutic dose and the toxic dose. Unlike copper salts, it is stable in the aquarium, and, unlike chelates, it is easily removed by chemical filtration. Unlike other copper products, it is both highly effective and safe in freshwater as well as marine water. It does not damage the filter bed. Cupramine™ contains 10,000 mg/L of copper and 100 mL treats over 500 gallons. Do not use in conjuction with ParaGuard™. Test for copper with our MultTest: Copper™ kit. Marine or freshwater use. ***DO NOT USE IN REEF TANKS***

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Old 01-19-2004, 04:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I would go with CUPRAMINE if i were u.....i just had a clown wit ich and put him in a QT tank wit Cupramine and cured him up in about 3 days...80F temp....same salinity.

You wont be sorry....just monitor ur copper levels

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com