HMMMMM........ STUMPED fish still with ich after hyposaliny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunbaby75

Aquarium Advice Regular
:?: i have a question i have been fighting ich with hyposalinty for the past 3 weeks all fish in QT, display tank empty except for snails and LR salinty at 1.010 problem is i went away this weekend and now spots are back <there were not there for 3 weeks> so can i safely leave the fish in QT at low salinty with out hurting them for another 4 weeks? any other suggestions i had a problem with juvi imporer sorta"paralized" last 2 weeks <color also all off> he is doing better today please advise

What are you using to measure SG? I wouldn't trust any of the plastic swing arm ever again since I've noticed how far off it was after I got my refractometer.

a refractometer that i purchaced when i started this god forsaken battle with evil

LOL, I sympathize btdt ;)

I am uncertain how much difference it would make....but hyposalinity calls for 1.009 (12ppt salinity), and calls for a refractometer for exactness. Could be it simply wasn't low enough.

Lets talk about the salinity rather than the specific gravity. Specific gravity is influenced by water temperature so salinity is a much more accurate measurement. What salinity are you keeping the water at? Have you tested the salinity (not SG) every day during treatment? What was the highest reading during that period? Are you checking the pH every day?
Terry B

Terry B said:
Specific gravity is influenced by water temperature so salinity is a much more accurate measurement.

Most of the quality refractometers are not dependent on water temp for a reading of SG. I would recommend a good refractomerter to anyone in this hobby!

I was thinking the same thing as reefrunner, maybe it just wasn't low enough or your measurements of SG were not accurate. I would try re-calibrating your refractometer again with some ro/di water to make sure it's set accurately

yes terry i have been checking the ph with is 8.0-8.3 and SG has been at 1.011 the highest which i lowered it back to 1.009 and not to upset anyone i would rather not have terry answer any off my post due to him "talking down to me" i stopped coming due to your ill manner last time i would appericate you keeping your advice to yourself and again thanks but no thanks !!

i had re-calibrated refractometer with RO/DI water BEFORE use so i know it is set reefrunner& jamal as far as medications go im not to sure on what, do you think because of the immune systems being low is the reason for the outbreak again i mean by now i have completed enough time for 3 life cycles of ich ? please advise
thanks guys!!!

Most of the quality refractometers are not dependent on water temp for a reading of SG

This is true, the newer refractometers have ATC, but the sample used to calibrate it, should be the same temp as the sample being tested.

Also, if the tank was not left at 12ppt (as water evaporated the salinity would go up and I assume that is the reason it is higher now) it would not have as large an effect on the ick. If you want to go with meds, then the salinity should be slowly brought back to normal reef salinity (or slightly lower) 32-35ppt and treat with >>cupramine<< at the prescribed dosage.

Cupramine™ effectively eradicates ectoparasite of both freshwater and marine fish. It has all the advantages of copper sulfate and chelated copper, but not the disadvantages. Like copper sulfate, it is fully ionic and effective at low concentrations. The cupric (Cu+2) charge is fully active. Like chelates, it is safe for fish and it is not precipitated in the filter bed. Unlike both, there is more than a 4x concentration gap between the minimal therpeutic dose and the toxic dose. Unlike copper salts, it is stable in the aquarium, and, unlike chelates, it is easily removed by chemical filtration. Unlike other copper products, it is both highly effective and safe in freshwater as well as marine water. It does not damage the filter bed. Cupramine™ contains 10,000 mg/L of copper and 100 mL treats over 500 gallons. Do not use in conjuction with ParaGuard™. Test for copper with our MultTest: Copper™ kit. Marine or freshwater use. ***DO NOT USE IN REEF TANKS***

I would go with CUPRAMINE if i were u.....i just had a clown wit ich and put him in a QT tank wit Cupramine and cured him up in about 3 days...80F temp....same salinity.

You wont be sorry....just monitor ur copper levels

SALTFISHDUDE said:
I would go with CUPRAMINE if i were u.....i just had a clown wit ich and put him in a QT tank wit Cupramine and cured him up in about 3 days...80F temp....same salinity.

You wont be sorry....just monitor ur copper levels

I don't mean to sound offensive but even when the signs of ick(visible white spots) are gone it does not mean that the fish/tank is cured. It is VERY important to treat the fish and tank for the recommended period and not just until the visible signs of ick are gone.

Copper is pretty difficult to monitor, I would just make sure you add the recommended dosage and make sure when doing water changes to add the correct dosage to that as well.

Hope your have better luck getting rid of it this time. I had a real bad problem with ick a few months back but everything worked out fine, I'm sure you will get through this :D

cajunbaby75,
No problem, I won't force you to take my advice. Your loss or should I say your fish's loss?
Terry B

Terry B said:
cajunbaby75,
No problem, I won't force you to take my advice. Your loss or should I say your fish's loss?
Terry B

in this reply shows that you are assuming that no one but yourself can save my fish ....well again i have more confidence in myself at this point thanks to others on this site...they have shown me that i can indeed make this work!!!! you on the other hand have shown me that there is at least one person trying to boost his/her ego by how much they know over someone else and by the ill manner in which you answer posts <not only mine> had in the past kept me from coming for a while...but im not gonna let YOU interfere with the chance to gain more knowledge on the one of the things that i consider enjoyable......that is my marine tank, i have read and purchased books on fish disease as well as web sites, an will continue to come here for sick or health of my fish everyone else here is very helpful and the website i have recommended to atleast 6 people which i know for sure one has joined and visits so again you may say whatever you choose but my fish will survive WITHOUT your help!!!

jamal

sorry i was fuming :evil: on last reply i agree and im going to try to continue hyposalinty the spots dropped off as of this am and going to keep SG at 1.009 temp at 80 thank you for your support and the vote of confidence :D also feeding VHP formula one along with angel's diet food to help boost immune systems soaking with garlic and selcon <marine lipids> please continue to keep fingers crossed i will let you know how things go!!

If you still need help or advice, start another thread, this one is
padlock.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom