Hole in the Head Diease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwilliams

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone out there have suggestions on how to treat Hole in the head disease?
I have been reading and it has been basicly saying nutriention and stray voltage in the tanks .....
How do you ground your tanks? I have all my plugs on Surge Protectors.

I feed all my fish the following:
Julia Sprung Seaweed sheets - Green, Purple, & the Red, brine shrimp, sea bay scalops grinded up..... I have ran out of the Red Seaweed and can no longer find it at the stores here in Houston. He and my yellow tang loved the Red Seaweed it looked like the real thing instead of sheets like you see at the stores now. I soak the food in a little bit of water with Selcon and now just recently got Zoe to soak the food with. I just recently tried to feed him the Mysis shrimp from PE and he will not touch it.

Mary

I have been reading all these articles and I have basically done all of this. I have changed the type of salt water I use to get and I am now using Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt mix. Medication for HLLE, added Zoe to the food which all my fish already was eating the Seaweed sheets. I am having trouble getting the correct type of Algae to grow that Tangs graze on in the wild.
I do not know what else to do for him and how long it will take to start to show improvements.

All you need is dried seaweed for them to forage on. It has vitamin C in it that they need.

I have been feeding them the seaweed from (Julian Sprung) the green sheets, purple sheets & red but the red looks and feels like actual seaweed along with grinded up Sea Bay Scallops plus I put Selcon on it as well. I have been reading up on it and it kind of sounds like this particular fish is prone to getting this diease. Those seaweed sheets never stayed in the veggie clips always came out and would be floating on the top. Both the Sail Fin and my Yellow tang seemed to have troubles with the green and purple sheets vs the red one that looked like the real thing. I had to find it online because none of the stores are carrying that brand anymore. All my other fishes are fine. He is in a QT and will probably stay there till I see some improvements.
I also soak the food in Selcon and just recently started adding Zoe and two days ago I also have been adding in Garlic Guard by Seachem but not all at once.
What other brand of Seaweed can I feed to them?

Last edited:
Get some sush wrap (Nori) from the supermarket or Asian market. IT can be toasted but the only ingrediant should be seaweed. That should be all the algae they need other than grazing on the rocks all day long.

So is the seaweed being sold at the pet stores not the same?

Also I saw some seaweed in the Asain isle but I think it had sometype of flavoring on it can that be used? Or just the plain one? And is Nori the actual brand name?

I found some of those susi wrap sheets but when I looked at the vitamin C listed on the back of the package it has 0% it. It only had vitamin A & B12 in it. Is there a special brand name that has vitamin C in it?
It was also roasted does that make a difference?

Mary

Thanks. His eatting has increase tremdously. What is your take on the Formula Two frozen food (cubes) made by Ocean Nutrition?

Roated is fine. Flavored or any other ingredient(s) are not.
This is what I use:

img_1180454_0_bb40638cfcd57bd8c8efcea066650424.jpg

img_1180454_1_703ef9e69313b5c80c6313e06c140b2d.jpg

you can make that yourself if you like(formula 2), for much cheaper and with much fresher ingredients, but it's ok. i don't like to put anything in my tanks that stinks like those things do. when i make my fish/coral food, i put a lot more care in the mix than the fish food manufacturers do IMO.

The website is blocked here at my office. Could you copy and paste the receipe into the thread?

Mary

ok....but it totally takes all the amusing chit-chat out of it!

"you can use basically anything you want. i used squid tubes, scallops, shrimp, fresh clam( not canned..there's salt and stuff in the canned), and haddock. i also mixed in cyclo-peeze and some formula A, which was thawed and squeezed to get rid of the stinky, nasty water they freeze that stuff in."

.....i just chopped all that up in a food processor and put it in gallon ziplocks and used a rolling pin to flatten it out, then froze it.

Back
Top Bottom