Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hospital Tank Help with ICH treatment

So I currently have 2 green Chromis, a striped damsel, a clown, a flame angel and a coral beauty. Well the coral beauty came down with ich and now the flame angel and the striped damsel are showing sings of ich on their fins. I know I should have quarentined but i didn't(will from now on thats for sure) so i got a 20 gallon tall hospital tank with a power head and foam filter. I also added a filter pad from my octo to add some bacteria and pvc fittings for shelter. I plan to treat with hypo salinity but my question is can i put all six fish in that 20 gallon tank???? is it doable with constant water changes? if so what percentage and how frequent. I plan to leave my DT fishless for 8 weeks so hypo treatment should run about 6 weeks...Just unsure if it is possible to house six fish in a 20 gallon. (mind you the chromis, damsel and clown are tiny about 1 - 1.5 inches the coral beauty and flame are about 2 inches). Your input and advice is highly appreciated.

ps: i have read all the links and online articles on marine ich but can seem to find anything conclusive on the amount of bioload recommended for a 20 gallon...that is why i am asking here.

Thanks in advance again.

Gloomisboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had 5 damsels in a 20G tall tank for 6 months or so. I have a picture of it:

This is a picture of when it first started, it's the only picture I have of the whole setup.

Granted, the two fish in front grew to almost double their size during the time they were in there, and things got a little crowded, but they all made it through. My advice is to try and have as many hiding places as possible.

As far as filtration goes, I put an AquaClear 30 on that tank and it seemed to be enough. I would be surprised if the same thing wasn't enough for you as well. If that's all you can do, it's certainly a lot better than letting them deal with the ich, that's for sure.

-Adam Horton
AdamHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
As long as you can keep up with the water changes, its doable. Key things to keep in check are amm/nitrite. As long as you can keep them at 0 through water changes until your bio filter stabilizes it can be done. If they were bigger fish, then I'd say no dice.
"If your wife ever asks how much something was for your tank, just tell her you got it on sale and you had to have it! She'll understand"

Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote

eat, hospital tank, ich, tan, treatment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com