Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2005, 07:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How can I keep my anenome alive?

i recently purchased a XL anenome with a diameter of approx 1 and half foot (species unknown) currently im only running four 48inch fluro tubes 2 white 2 blue. i need more lighting how much do i need and what type? will haloides penetrate the depth of water. i have a 400 gallon system and the light must penetrate 2 and half foot of water. also should i be feeding the anenome? and is there any other important info i need to,know to keep this ananome successfully?

regards, datto
[ADMIN: please don't use all caps for subjects.]

Old 01-27-2005, 12:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

do you know what type of Anenome?

doug

Old 01-27-2005, 12:20 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It definately depends on what type it is.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

to penetrate that deep 2+feet, you will really need MH lighting. Just what i've read.

Jim
Old 01-28-2005, 05:14 AM   #5

here is a photo of my anenome... does anyone know what it is and how should i look after ie feeding, light requirements etc...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mvc-011s.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	421   Click image for larger version

Name:	mvc-009s_179.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	422  

Old 01-28-2005, 09:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like a Ritteri anemone to me. Heteractis magnifica or, H. magnifica. They are one of the more difficult species. They require very high lighting as well as lots of waterflow. It's an aggressive anemone that can sting corals. I would feed it once or twice a week with some raw shrimp pieces or maybe some silversides. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It does look like a ritteri, one of the most difficult anemone to keep.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 01:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to aquafreak Send a message via MSN to aquafreak Send a message via Yahoo to aquafreak
You could puchase retrofit kits which will have 2 metal halides on them that are 3 feet across with VHO to accompany them but they are pretty expensive. I'm saving up for one.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had a LT blue-tipped anemone that just died recently after doing so well for a long time.

He didn't seem to like much light. He always positioned himself underneath the rock. One day he decided to move around. He looked very bad so I put him back where he always was - and he improved. The next day he was on the move again. I decided to leave him whereever he wanted to go. Either he got stuck or picked a terrible spot, because he looked horrible when I found him. I moved him back to his old spot where he looked much better but died after a couple days.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 04:53 PM   #10

so if its a ritteri anenome.. has any one had experience with them successfully? if so any info to help keep it alive would be great. And how can i get my clowns to go into it? will this help it survive or is it not significant?

regards datto

Tags
anenome, live

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com