How can I keep my anenome alive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

datto

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i recently purchased a XL anenome with a diameter of approx 1 and half foot (species unknown) currently im only running four 48inch fluro tubes 2 white 2 blue. i need more lighting how much do i need and what type? will haloides penetrate the depth of water. i have a 400 gallon system and the light must penetrate 2 and half foot of water. also should i be feeding the anenome? and is there any other important info i need to,know to keep this ananome successfully?

regards, datto
[ADMIN: please don't use all caps for subjects.]

here is a photo of my anenome... does anyone know what it is and how should i look after ie feeding, light requirements etc...

Attachments

• mvc-009s_179.jpg
    mvc-009s_179.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 195
  • mvc-011s.jpg
    mvc-011s.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 116
Looks like a Ritteri anemone to me. Heteractis magnifica or, H. magnifica. They are one of the more difficult species. They require very high lighting as well as lots of waterflow. It's an aggressive anemone that can sting corals. I would feed it once or twice a week with some raw shrimp pieces or maybe some silversides. Good luck.

You could puchase retrofit kits which will have 2 metal halides on them that are 3 feet across with VHO to accompany them but they are pretty expensive. I'm saving up for one.

I had a LT blue-tipped anemone that just died recently after doing so well for a long time.

He didn't seem to like much light. He always positioned himself underneath the rock. One day he decided to move around. He looked very bad so I put him back where he always was - and he improved. The next day he was on the move again. I decided to leave him whereever he wanted to go. Either he got stuck or picked a terrible spot, because he looked horrible when I found him. I moved him back to his old spot where he looked much better but died after a couple days. :(

so if its a ritteri anenome.. has any one had experience with them successfully? if so any info to help keep it alive would be great. And how can i get my clowns to go into it? will this help it survive or is it not significant?

regards datto

They usually require a mature tank, and good water conditions. Lighting is key with these little guys. As mentioned, I would get a retro kit with MH. I'm not sure if pc would do the trick here. If not, your chances of keeping him alive are slim. I would return it until you get the proper lighting.
Clowns will either take to it, or not. Only time will tell on that one. Sorry.

Mike

thanks for the help. i ordered a lighting system from my work it composes of 4x 250watt metal haliodes, built into a 5foot long housing. i wont be able to get it for another fortnight though!

will the anenome be ok for this small amount of time?

Just keep an eye on him. They tend to live in the lfs under NO for a short period, so you should be fine. I would slowly introduce him to the MH though. You don't want to shock him.
Are your 250w MH retro, or hood? These babies get pretty warm.

Mike

actually will the one with 3x250watt haliodes be ok, because it will be heaps cheaper and i still have time to change the order?

Back
Top Bottom