How can I save my brain coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nanoreefer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My brain coral is starting to recede from its base. The white part of the brain coral’s inner skeleton is being exposed. What can I do to help it recover?

I have read that most people do not "feed" thier brain corals. When in reality they do eat. At night when they close up they have tentacles that come out for feeding. It said in the article that while most brain corals will "survive" without feeding that they won't really grow with out it.

It said to wait until after the lights go out and take a turkey baster with some small mysid, and (or) fortified brine shrimp and dust the top of the coral lightly and this should trigger the feeding response. Hopefully this will work for you and maybe get your coral back to normal again.

If I can find the article again I will post a link to it.

Mike

I usually feed mine a small piece of shrimp. I place it on top of him and cover the entire brain with a 3 litre bottle that I cut the bottom off to keep the other first from stealing his food. The food is gone by morning

I have been using ocean water for over five years without any major problems. The brain was a relatively new addition to the tank he has only been in there for about 4 months. I was thinking that 36 watts of lighting is was not enough for a brain but my Long Tentacle anemone is over three years old and does fine with the lighting and never eating solid food. I will try feeding the brain a little brine shrimp a few times over the next couple weeks and see if there is a marked improvement. Thank you for your advice and any more is very welcome.

Back
Top Bottom