Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-15-2004, 12:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
How could this happen?

Well, I spoke to soon about the post vacation condition of my system. Came home after 2 weeks to find one of our Clowns missing. Now I think I know why. All of my fish are again covered with spots. I noticed it about an hour after lights out tonight. My Royal Gramma is flashing like crazy and the Angel is living at the cleaning station.
It just doesn't make sense. I went through a 8 week fallow period from Jan through March with a parasitic outbreak and everyone had been clean since. I purchased the 2 Heni's and put them through a 5 week qt period. They have been in the system for 6 weeks with no problem. The only think I have added is a few snails, sand and some macro algea.
My options are either break out the 40 gallon again and nuke them once more or put my system up for sale and see if my LFS will take my animals. Anyone interested in a 210 gallon system?

quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 12:27 AM   #2
Wow! Sorry to hear about the prob. That stinks... I'm no expert by any means.. But I wonder if any of the stuff you directly added especially the sand (was it in an established tank prior?) Could have carried a parasite such as Ick.. I read somewhere that the Ick parasite drops off onto the sand or whatever is in the tank then..more come out into the free swimming stages after that to find new hosts.. Wonder if any were carried in on something else..They just weren't in the free swimming stage yet...
Old 07-15-2004, 12:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Ya, thats what I'm thinking. it was part of a kit from a very established tanks, so I wasn't too worried.
I have a decision to make, I just don't have the time to keep going through this over and over again. I did everthing by the book as far as treatment and proper qt of new stock ( after my rough start at the top of the year). I also don't know how my fish will respond to another treatment, the first was rather rough of a few of them.
I guess I'll sleep on it tonight, not much i can do right now anyway. I am getting killed with the catch up at work and have several 16 hour days ahead of me. I could not move them until the weekend anyway.
After all this time, I thought I had it beat.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Quarry..So sorry for you. Anything I can do to help you through this? Where did you get the sand from?What about treating them with hypo salinity instead of copper?Maybe that would make it easier for them stress wise.Just a thought. Sue
Thanks all for your help! And for putting up with me!!
b3noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 08:48 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Sorry to hear about your troubles. This hobby can certainly be testing at times. You might try upping your tank temp. a bit to speed up the life-cycle of the ick. Some agree with this, some don't. Also, how about a UV steralizer? I know they take care of parasites in the water but not sure if they would help your fish. Let us know what you decide and best of luck to you and your fish...Lando
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 09:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
I have a UV sterilizer and some people swear by them and others laugh at them. I personally think they do some good for sure. Also I have had luck with raising the temp in my tank in the past. Had a bout with ick when I first started my tank and decided to let it run its course and raised the temp and they all pulled through it but one fish....that was a year ago...good luck and Im there with ya....this is a hard hobby sometimes!!
fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 09:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Quarryshark, please don't throw in the towel yet.. we will give you all the support you need to get you through this.
My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.
- Rodney Dangerfield.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Thanks guys, I'm not sure what I am going to do. After busting my a$$ on this thing (like we all do) I just don't know how long I can keep this up. The next couple of month are a busy time for me and I am out of town quite a bit. I can't ask my wife for much, she is sick of the whole thing.
I will probably pull the fish out again, risk a divorce (just kidding) and give it one more wirl. I would feel better about it if I knew why it happened, stress, something in the sand? I just don't know.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:49 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey Qshark. Sorry to hear about that blasted parasite called ich!!!!

I was thinking the other day, what would I do if my system got ich again. I thought to myself, probably give up. It is hard, especially the water changes, but my advice to you is dont give up. There has to be some logical explanation for the outbreak, again. My best bet would be the sand, but what do I know anyway.

I am truly sorry, but you can do it, and you will do it! We are here for you. I wish I lived close, I would take half your fish through the qt for you. Well, keep us updated.
Remember to Keep Christ First!
revhtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:50 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist
I feel for ya quarryshark Its the main reason I haven't jumped on the saltwater bandwagon yet. I have good luck with all my freshwater tanks/fish and scared that If I do saltwater and have the problems like you been having I would give up like you feel like doing. guess I'll keep just reading you guys posts for a couple more months. Hang in there quarryshark, i'm rooting for ya

Gotta Love the Little Wet Pets.
kenor33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com