Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-09-2004, 05:50 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
All in all I think it looks quite healthy and is by no means bleached.

FWIW, some have mentioned the anemone in question can come in a variety of colors and is abosolutely correct. Anemones of all species are quite often a variety of colors which can make identification quite difficult at times.
Steve,

Thank you so much for responding. I thought Firefighter's anemone also looked just fine... what do you say now, Six-Line?

In its great blue whales, hunted even to
between houses, an entire people was
dreaming of a less silent light.
BlueDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 05:50 PM   #32
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXFirefighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndfrb
i think you just answered your own question. LOL
Well I'm all concerned now....
I was told it's not supopsed to be this color... What gives?
I think I'm just gonna feed him shrimp and move him high in the tank. More then 260 watts is not gonna happen. The tank is in the living room. I need to make or buy a hood for other lighting...
Your worrying about nothing and if the image you posted at the beginning of the thread is accurate, it's not white. IME, that is quite common for newly transpotred crispa's and it will darken up over a few months. For now anyway, I do not see anything to be concerned about.

FWIW, you will find varying opinions on different forums and it is considered to anyones benefit to get as many opinions as possible. IMO. ReefCentral â‰* expert any more than others.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-09-2004, 06:00 PM   #33
steve-s

I hope this thread remains civil. I am finding the "debate" quite interesting. Just for added info, here is the same anemone when I got it which was definately bleached.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-09-2004, 06:28 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
I think it looks fine as well. And the lighting you have should be good enough. Just keep an eye on it. I have seen alot worse than that. at least his mouth is gaping open wich is a very good sign.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:34 PM   #35
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndfrb
at least his mouth is gaping open wich is a very good sign.
I saw no sign of the mouth in the pic posted unless I missed something. As far as a gaping mouth, that is actually an indication of stress. A tightly closed mouth is an indication of good health.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-09-2004, 06:35 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
i meant to say that it isn't gaping. Sorry.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:21 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am enjoying this debate. Remember to be respectful in your replies. I am getting a hint of personal attacks (Six-line). Keep it friendly. Back to the matter at hand...XX Firefighter, your tank is still quite young for an anenome. You will really have to work on keeping your water parameters in check. Honestly, If amonia/nitrite/nitrate are not all at zero you may want to consider returning your anenome. They really do not handle high levels of Nitate very well. If you have even a trace of nitrate, do a 10% water change every one or two days until it subsides. Nitrates are very difficult to get and keep at zero but it can be done. Best of luck from one public servent to another...Lando
Old 05-09-2004, 08:05 PM   #38
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
Back to the matter at hand...XX Firefighter, your tank is still quite young for an anenome. You will really have to work on keeping your water parameters in check. Honestly, If amonia/nitrite/nitrate are not all at zero you may want to consider returning your anenome.
This part I was unaware of. I read back to some of the original poster's threads and it seems the tank finished the cycle some time at the end of March/early April. While I stand by my earlier comments concerning the anemone itself, I do agree this tank is far too young to be housing an invert this sensitive to instability.

While many suggest 6-12 months, personally I would strive for 2 years before attempting an anemone addition. I do however support lando's recommendation, the anemone should be returned although where it came from is not likely to be much better.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-09-2004, 10:43 PM   #39

Quote:
... what do you say now, Six-Line?
I say you don't know anything about anemones, and do some research it might help you out.

There is no such thing as a white sebae, if its white its bleached. Take my advice or leave it, I could care less. From what I have read sebaes need MH lighting or they just don't last. Its your anemone if it dies (I hope it dosen't) but then it's your problem. Im just trying to help and in my opinion based upon my research on different anemone species id say it just wont last long term in your system. Firefighter please post this on RC

http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumd...?s=&forumid=36

I think you will get more opinions/suggestions that might help you. Steve is very knowledgable, and he has helped me before but I can't agree with the fact that your anemone looks ok.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:05 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six-Line

I say you don't know anything about anemones, and do some research it might help you out.
You are quite rude in your remarks. You don't know me, nor do you know how much I do/do not know about anemones. I do have a degree in marine biology, but I do not claim to be an anemone expert - or any other invert for that matter. My main focus is marine mammals. That aside, I think you should take your own advice.

Good luck with your anemone, Firefighter!

In its great blue whales, hunted even to
between houses, an entire people was
dreaming of a less silent light.
BlueDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown, feed

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com