How do i get rid of ich in a reef tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 37 gallon reef tank and was looking at it and noticed my blue sided fairy wrasse has a major case of ich, i got him from the lfs 3 days ago and looked fine, he is eating and looks pretty healthy but i dont want my valentini puffer to get it to,
My stock is:
1 blue sided fairy wrasse
1 valentini puffer
1 emerald crab
5 red legged hermits
1 halloween urchin
1 sally light foot crab
My corals are:
1 torch coral
4 brain corals
Thanks!

your going to have to put all fish in the tank, into quarantine and leave the tank with just coral/inverts for 60 days. quarantine on new fish is a must

And there is only 2 fish in the tank, i have heard that if the fish are eating well that they can naturally treat it

I just realised you said it was your fairy wrasse.

Freshwater dip. 5-15 minutes.
Repeat daily until Ich is gone. Also maintain excellent water quality, and do PWC as ich are free swimming until they find their host.

I just realised you said it was your fairy wrasse.

Freshwater dip. 5-15 minutes.
Repeat daily until Ich is gone. Also maintain excellent water quality, and do PWC as ich are free swimming until they find their host.

What is freshwater dip? Sorry i am a bit new to saltwater...

Take a 1 gallon or half gallon container and fill it with dechlorinated water. Wait for it to adjust to room temperaturr or the temperature of the tank (whichever is most logical). Place your wrasse in there for a few minutes and watch for signs of distres such as thrashing. Then place him back in the tank. Dont add the freshwater to your saltwater! Then disinfect that container.

Take a 1 gallon or half gallon container and fill it with dechlorinated water. Wait for it to adjust to room temperaturr or the temperature of the tank (whichever is most logical). Place your wrasse in there for a few minutes and watch for signs of distres such as thrashing. Then place him back in the tank. Dont add the freshwater to your saltwater! Then disinfect that container.

Ok thanks, i read online you should add some blue liquid that helps the fish calm down, cant remember what its called. If the fish gets stressed to much what do i do?

Check the PH for the freshwater and see what the difference is. If it's fairly large yes, I would acclimate him.

The freshwater dips will only be a temporary fix. The ich is still in the tank and will reinfect the fish once it's introduced again. The only options that work 100% in saltwater is hyposalinity and copper, and both of them require a hospital tank.

BUT, I read the other day that levamisole can cure ich in saltwater (somehow) and it can be done in the display tank. If you decide to do this, do it at your ow risk because I've never tried it. If you search "levamisole saltwater ich" in google, you'll see forums where other people have as great success with it curing ich, in just a couple days.

A freshwater dip is the last resort that you should try, and only if the fish is having trouble breathing or other distress. The ich will fall off the fish but you are just putting it back in the tank which now has ich. A freshwater dip can also stress your fish to death so I wouldnt try it.

Get a small empty tank and put your fish in there and let the tank run fishless is the only way to actually 100% get rid of ich. The freshwater dip will only cause whats on the wrasse to fall off, thats it.

Since you got him only 3 days ago, you should quarantine him. If your other fish gets ich, you'll have to treat them both in hospital tank. Copper doesnt mix with corals. Your invertibrates will be sensitive to hyposalinity as well. Thus the stress on hospital tank, whichever method you choose.

I just thought of a idea, because the fish has only been in the tank for 2 days, could i freshwater dip and then feed brine shrimp soaked in garlic? I also found this stuff at petsmart called kordon ich treatment 100% natural and it says its safe for live rock,corals, and invertabrates. Anyone had experience with this stuff???

I tried that Kordon stuff. All it is is garlic, and it supposedly boosts the immune system. All it gave me was a crap load of algae.

Is there any other way? Like soaking their food in garlic?

I used Garlic Extreme by Kent on the food and in the tank per instructions on bottle. When I could smell it fairly strong I'd stop dosing and do a water change. It's been 4 years with no out breaks and I don't quarantine. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom