Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
How do i get rid of ich in a reef tank?

I have a 37 gallon reef tank and was looking at it and noticed my blue sided fairy wrasse has a major case of ich, i got him from the lfs 3 days ago and looked fine, he is eating and looks pretty healthy but i dont want my valentini puffer to get it to,
My stock is:
1 blue sided fairy wrasse
1 valentini puffer
1 emerald crab
5 red legged hermits
1 halloween urchin
1 sally light foot crab
My corals are:
1 torch coral
4 brain corals
Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
aquandrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: waconia minnesota
Posts: 1,803
your going to have to put all fish in the tank, into quarantine and leave the tank with just coral/inverts for 60 days. quarantine on new fish is a must
__________________

__________________
aquandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquandrew View Post
your going to have to put all fish in the tank, into quarantine and leave the tank with just coral/inverts for 60 days. quarantine on new fish is a must
Is there any other way? Like soaking their food in garlic?
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
And there is only 2 fish in the tank, i have heard that if the fish are eating well that they can naturally treat it
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
IsabellaRows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: California
Posts: 51
Is it just one fish?
__________________
IsabellaRows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsabellaRows View Post
Is it just one fish?
Yeah the wrasse has alot of spots but the valentini looks ok
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
IsabellaRows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: California
Posts: 51
I just realised you said it was your fairy wrasse.

Freshwater dip. 5-15 minutes.
Repeat daily until Ich is gone. Also maintain excellent water quality, and do PWC as ich are free swimming until they find their host.
__________________
IsabellaRows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsabellaRows View Post
I just realised you said it was your fairy wrasse.

Freshwater dip. 5-15 minutes.
Repeat daily until Ich is gone. Also maintain excellent water quality, and do PWC as ich are free swimming until they find their host.
What is freshwater dip? Sorry i am a bit new to saltwater...
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
IsabellaRows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: California
Posts: 51
Take a 1 gallon or half gallon container and fill it with dechlorinated water. Wait for it to adjust to room temperaturr or the temperature of the tank (whichever is most logical). Place your wrasse in there for a few minutes and watch for signs of distres such as thrashing. Then place him back in the tank. Dont add the freshwater to your saltwater! Then disinfect that container.
__________________
IsabellaRows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsabellaRows View Post
Take a 1 gallon or half gallon container and fill it with dechlorinated water. Wait for it to adjust to room temperaturr or the temperature of the tank (whichever is most logical). Place your wrasse in there for a few minutes and watch for signs of distres such as thrashing. Then place him back in the tank. Dont add the freshwater to your saltwater! Then disinfect that container.
Ok thanks, i read online you should add some blue liquid that helps the fish calm down, cant remember what its called. If the fish gets stressed to much what do i do?
__________________

__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.