Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
How long

I have just bought a fish from the LFS and it is in my QT which it now has ich. I was treating with Paraguard but want to try Hypo. If i add copper how long do i have to wait till the meds are removed to begin Hyposalinity, or can i run carbon during hypo.

brianf40us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey Brian,

Activated carbon will absorb the medication. My way of QT is a simple tank with air stone and a 25 watt heater. Change 50% premixed water everyday and replenish medication. Feed sparingly. Hope that helps!

Generalx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
While GAC can remove the meds, copper is a little different. It will be absorbed into just about anything other than glass. You may want to look at cuprisorb (I think) to remove the copper. I would also suggest getting a copper test kit.
I think the GAC will remove most meds relatively quickly...maybe a few days to a week depending on the specific med, but I am not 100% sure. Most of the time you can clean out the tank with water and bleach, rinsing well and letting air dry.
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm using carbon in the HOB on my QT with my fish undergoing hypo treatment for ich however I did not use any meds and will never use copper (Nasty stuff). My salinity is 1.007-.009 in the QT and the fish are doing fine in case you were wondering about it. Before you start you must have a refractometer because hydrometers are not nearly accurate enough. Just remember to to start at a normal salinity level and gradually bring the salinity down by changing 15 to 20% of the water with treated RO every 12 hrs until you reach 1.007 to .009.
After treatment you must bring up the salinity much slower to allow the fish to adjust because the higher the salinity level the more difficult it is for them to breathe and they need more time to adjust. When you are reducing the salinity the opposite is true it becomes easier for them breathe so they actually endure less stress on the way down then on the way up.
BTW good luck.

Oh yeah, from all of my research you should have a dedicated tank for meds and copper treatments (Hospital tank) that is different from your QT.
120 Mixed Reef
InfernoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
I have not used copper and dont plan too. I am right now using paraguard daily with a 5 gallon water change between doses. i think i may give this a try because my fish is looking a little better. I have heard mixed feelings about this stuff. he is in a 35 gallon QT
brianf40us is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com