how long can my fish stay in a 10g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NJtuna

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm giving up on my 55g with its green hair algae disaster (and you can't imagine how serious I am by 'disaster'), and i decided to empty all my water into buckets and take everything out and start all over with new everything but pne problem: I still have my little lunare wrasse and my seargant major in the tank. My 10g is cultured with the same water from the 55 and has some live rock. So I was wondering how long I could safely keep the 2 of them in there while i set up my 55 again?

how big are they? your more than likly to have ammonia troubles. with some pw changes you chould be fine for a week or so i would think. But your putting alot of stress on those fish. if i were you i would hurry because your going to have to cycle the 55 again. Thats going to take more than a week. Is there a lfs around you can bring them to maybe they can hold them for you until you get ready again.

I kept all my fish in 2 10 tanks with my LR filling them up the backs, also made caves and stuff for hiding, with 2 huge HOB filters with Carbon pads in on both sides, a heater in each, and a PH in each corner opposite of the HOBs. They had standard 10G NO lighting X 2 strips each. My tank which was way over stocked for my 55 - a small regal tang, kole tang, a royal gramma, a scooter blenny, a chromis, a peppermint shrimp... might have forgotten someone - it's been a while... I had to do this because of a tank crash as well... someones toddler dumped a plate of food in there *Yikes*

Anyhow, I tested once daily, did 1 gallon water changes 2 x week each (Mon & Thur) and I also reduced feeding quite a bit... every other day and smaller amounts to be sure it was all being eaten. I had the tank bare bottom and siphoned any debris off with the PWC.

My fish NEVER got sick, died or anything ... they lived this way for many weeks due to the tank crash and a move.

Sorry to hear about your tank... hopefully whatever is wrong will be fixed and things will be much smoother next time :)

I think I would work on the algae problem more before I did that. Has anyone here helped you with it?

yea i have gotten help with it but i still have to pull all the algae off of everything and its just completely ridiculous, very irresponsible of me to let that happen over last summer and the tank really has nothing going for it. So i figured i would buy everything i need ahead of time and move the fish and put all my cultured water in buckets and the little LR i have into another tank and just hussle to get it set up, but i have time limits because of my 2 fish needing to be in a 10g, even if they are very small.

Back
Top Bottom