Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2005, 05:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

How long do you QT?

For those of you who DO QT, how long do you keep your fish QTd for? What is the "proper" length of time for QT? I'm in my second week of QT for PeTie and am trying to figure out when his release date should be. I'm anxious, but trying so hard to be cautious! I have yet to have a fish that I can manage to keep in QT for more than 2 weeks so far. I've been lucky, I know.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 05:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to xahx
I think the general rule is the longer the better, however 2 weeks seems sufficient to me, i would personally go for 3 or 4 tho,

if PeTie has not shown any signs of abnormalities, he most likely wont. its been 2 weeks alone in the qt

You know ive even heard of ppl who keep their new fish in qt for a few months

Old 03-07-2005, 05:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Personally, I can not wait to get the last fish in mine. I hate to QT with the passion! I have a few more I want to add and then I am done. I think I will stop there and add nothing more (even corals) except snails after that. That way I can be done with QT hopefully for a long long while. Optomistic view I know, but thats my plan!

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 05:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know QT is good. But, i don't QT new fish any more. Just acclimate the fish in the main and drop it right in. All of my fish and corals are doing just fine. Whats the secret? None. I guess running skimmer and UV 24/7 in the main tank keeps everything healthy.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If I remember the free floating phase of ich can be 21 days so I would say do that to be sure you wont get an outbreak later on. I have been doing 4 weeks and all has been good except my patience.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 02:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
4 weeks is the best. Most ailments will show themselves within this time. 2 weeks is not long enough, the lifecycle of some parasites is as long as 3 weeks or more.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:36 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
I know QT is good. But, i don't QT new fish any more. Just acclimate the fish in the main and drop it right in. All of my fish and corals are doing just fine. Whats the secret? None. I guess running skimmer and UV 24/7 in the main tank keeps everything healthy.
And quite a bit of luck.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:07 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

i agree as a general rule i stick to at least 4 weeks, however i do strongly believe that the length of time in QT depends on the species of fish, origin, distance travelled etc. QT time in my opinion is species specific!

Quote:
the fish you have recently added without QT... are they more hardy species? drop something like a moorish idol, achilles tang or juv pinnatus batfish in without QT i think you may find you have problems, i think the mortality rate would be high... it all comes down to species NOT luck! and if it does survive well you are one lucky person.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:10 PM   #9
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMPD109
If I remember the free floating phase of ich can be 21 days so I would say do that to be sure you wont get an outbreak later on. I have been doing 4 weeks and all has been good except my patience.
Actually the free swimming stage of most parasites is very short lived, some don't even have one. It's the reproductive stage that's typically the longest. The reason for recommending the 4 week time frame is the accumulation timewise of each stage. Since it's not possible to tell what's happening at any given time without a microscope, the only alternative is to allow the fish to remain solo untill the full lifecycle of a parasite is lived out if that makes sense.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-08-2005, 12:15 PM   #10
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by datto
i do strongly believe that the length of time in QT depends on the species of fish, origin, distance travelled etc. QT time in my opinion is species specific!
Not true. It makes no difference in most cases what the species is in regards to teleosts. Parasites have a very well studied life cycle for the most part and the species of the fish has no impact on that time frame. Some are more easily infested than others but the life cycle itself is not altered by it in any real sense. You can't manipulate mother nature to any noticable degree either. At least not without consequences.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com