How long does it take for a fish to die of ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh I thought it never worked that's what my lfs said so I followed them

I just saw this...copper or hypo are the only two things that do work, but too much copper can kill fish and too little will not do anything. IMO, hypo is the better choice, but again, its gotta be just right or its either not low enough to kill anything or too low where it kills the Ich, but also kills your fish.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if this is a FOWLR and the OP can't do a QT, why not go hypo. I've always understood that it does not totally kill the beneficial bacteria in the system. It will kill inverts and such though.

I'm trying hard to not always go tang police. Yes, the sailfin is not a good candidate but...I'm tired of fighting about tangs. ;-).

It's funny, but I'm turning into the same mentality. :) I stand by my idea that most fish that have Ich are in "too small tanks"...IMO, it is a stress thing, but size of the fish does not seem to matter. When was the last time there was a "My Tang/Angel/whatever has Ich in my 240 gallon tank"? You just don't see that (almost never).

Not everyone can have a tank that's 6' long. When I had my saltwater tanks when I started it was a pair of 55 gallon with hang on filters. Bio-balls. One was a reef, the other was fish only. I battled Ich from tangs over and over again. I finally quit buying them. But after I built my big tank, those problems went away. The space really does make the difference. Only problem is I want an even bigger reef tank.

I had a 55 reef and one day my wife decided to bring home "Dori". She absolutely had to have her. I told her that the tank was way too small for her. After about an hour of conversation she finally understood. I tried to convince her to return the hippo but that wasn't going to happen. Needless to say, I now have a 210. We have since added a sailfin tang and a yellow tang.

Back
Top Bottom