How long for ich to kill? Is this my problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runway1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Lost yet another. This time, I noticed whites spots - barely - on my yellow eyed tang. 1 day later he died. Is this ich? Can ich kill without visually seeing the spots?

As some of you know, I've lost many fish and cannot trace the problem. My tank is currently fishless. I try one at a time and they've all died! It's not my water (tested repeatedly at three different lfs). It's not my acclimation (painfully slow and easy). So, has ich been my problem? Last victim was 5 days in my tank.

My understanding is that the ich itself is not terminal but that it will eventually get into the gills and killing the fish. I have been told that this would normally take several life cycles of it to infect to that extent. Hopefully someone can add or correct this.

I wouldn't say it's impossible for an infestation to be present without easily seeing the spots but I would go as far to say as it's increadibley unlikely. What RMPD109 said is pretty much on the mark. The parasite itself is not what usually kills the fish. It's the suffocating and damaging effect it has on the gills and in some cases secondary infections caused by it's burrowing into the skin. It makes it pretty hard not to know it's there if the infestation is at a level high enough to kill the fish.

More likely it was velvet. Quite often this parasite can do quite a bit of damage unseen and many times is not detected until too late or not at all. Your best solution is to leave the tank fallow for a good 6 weeks to allow whatever parasite may be present to die off. Just be sure in the meantime the tank is still fed every few days to maintain the bacteria.

Please be sure all future fish purchases are QT'd before going into the main.

Cheers
Steve

It's possible for ich to be present ONLY on the gills of a fish, meaning the white spots may not be easily visible. In addition, ich is not the only "white spot" disease, so it's possible your fish died of something else.

And as far mortality goes, it of course depends on the severity of the infection and the possible secondary infections that can develop. Remember, these parasites are "vampires" in the sense that they are nourishing themselves from the body fluids of their victims. That's why I have come to the conclusion that QT is worth the waiting and general pain in the This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement. Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community..

Although I will say that the old story about "ich being present in all tanks" is probably, according to recent research, NOT the case. I only wish I had saved the website with the study results.

I take it that these parasites are not a threat to crustaceans because all my shrimps and crabs are loving life. Also, would these parasites be a threat to corals? I was thinking of adding some soon.

Thanks again all.

midiman said:
It's possible for ich to be present ONLY on the gills of a fish, meaning the white spots may not be easily visible.
Very true, however not all that likely in regards to C. irritans.

Also, please do not bypass the word sensor, it's there for a reason :wink:

Cheers
Steve

runway1 said:
I take it that these parasites are not a threat to crustaceans because all my shrimps and crabs are loving life. Also, would these parasites be a threat to corals? I was thinking of adding some soon.
Fish parasites do not affect the health of mobile or sessile inverts so your good to go. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Also, please do not bypass the word sensor, it's there for a reason

The word sensor? Good grief. I didn't use a foul word :( , I used the letter "a" and two symbols, just like are used in COMIC BOOKS for children, (which I don't think that we are, in spite of the treatment we at times receive).

That warning makes it look like I committed blasphemy in St. Peter's :twisted: .

It's actually kind of scary, in a Big Brother, Brave New World, "my decisions are made by machines" sort of way. :roll:

But, we're here for the joy of the hobby, and I certainly do accept the user agreement, so I'll accept my scolding like a good boy and go back to taking care of my tank, which, thanks to the help of you all out there, is beginning to look pretty (any word remotely violative of the user agreement intentionally omitted from post) good. :)

midiman said:
But, we're here for the joy of the hobby, and I certainly do accept the user agreement,
So I'll consider the subject closed 8)

Cheers
Steve

runway1 said:
Except for my fish problem, I hope.
My appologies for that.

As I said, your best course of action is to fallow the tank. Be sure you get a QT going for your next addition and use the time to make sure all the water parameters of the main tank are maintained and ready for your next addition.

Cheers
Steve

Sorry to hear about you losses. I'm new to this forum and to the saltwater tank hobby but I had also had a similar problem with fish continually dying. I had my LFS check the water levels and everything checked out. Except they were not checking the water hardness. My dKH was low causing continuous death to newly acclimated fish (most would last a week or 2). Since adding a dKH buffer I've had no mysterious deaths. Of course now I'm dealing with an ich/parasite problem :(

Hope all works out for you!

Back
Top Bottom