Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-17-2006, 10:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

how long for xenia to recover

Got a new frag which had xenia on it. Drip acclimated last night looked good. this morning head was tightly clumped and losing arms checked parameters pH was too low 7.8. Raising pH as I type but I want to know how long before I see improvement or is it doomed. It was very healthy when I got it and its been in low pH for 12 hrs if that makes difference.

Old 12-17-2006, 12:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Xenia is a notoriously poor shipper. Add to that the low pH in the display, does not make good odds. You will probably know one way or the other in a week or so.

Old 12-17-2006, 02:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Went and got a CA kit and a KH test kit.
KH was none existent (1 drop turns solution light blue). Previously used dip stick that always read off the scale high.
Ca is at least 360-380 (new at test).
pH is 8.2
Old 12-19-2006, 12:00 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

WHat kinda light is on it, and what kinda water flow? Weird coral. Some with great tanks can't keep it and never seem to know why. But, like said already - you'll know soon.

How many times did you do that KH test? Not that I know if it has anything to do with your xenia's currently poor health. With the dip sticks saying something so different, I'd at least check twice.

BTW, know what kinda xenia - elongata (brownish streaked leaves) or pom pom (white/silvery looking)?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Redid test Kh was good. Xenia Died. All other corals on frag are doing well. I think is was elongata. Was brownish not white.

Tags
long, xenia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com