How long in QT Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stegm1sc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had some sort of disease outbreak about a week ago (fish are obviously sick thread). I purchased a QT tank and have two gobies in there that are recovering well. They are both eating now like they used to (refused to eat b4). I treated the tank w/ copper and i don't know if that helped or not (what guy at LFS told me to do). Neways, how long do they need to stay in there? Today is day 5.

Until you diagnose what your problem is, who knows. 3 weeks is a safe minimum, but until you know what you are dealing with, its hard to say.

Did you have any inverts or coral in your tank when you bombed it with copper? And you now know that since you used copper you will never be able to have really sensitive corals and inverts?

OK, just read your other post. You treated with copper even though there was no evidence of ICH. Time to stop listening to the LFS.

Keep them there for 30 days! STOP the cupramine treatment.

Are there any fish left in the display tank?
Do they show any signs of stress or disease?

Keep doing pwcs in the DT and QT tanks to maintain stable parameters. If the tang is still alive trade it back to the lfs for something more suitable for your tank.

SLOW down on the livestock additions. Add only 1 or 2 fish per month (30 days apart).

Seymour's Salt Water tank rules:
Rule # 1. Nothing Good ever happens Fast in a salt water aquarium
Rule # 2. Don't add anything (supplements/chemicals/minerals)you don't test for first.
Rule # 3. PWC (Partial Water Changes) are your friend, and cure many ills.
Rule # 4. QT EVERYTHING before adding it to your tank (mandarins excepted, corals should be dipped)
Rule # 5. Use only RO or RODI water (either buy it or make it)
Rule # 6. All animal species live longer on a 30% reduced caloric intake. Only feed every other day at most (fish species dependant)
Rule # 7. Hyposalinity is the best, safest, and most effective treatment for marine Ich (IMHO)
Rule # 8. A Refractometer is a MUST HAVE, not a luxury.
Rule # 9. Anemones will never live anywhere near their normal (aprox 30 years) lifespan in a home aquarium. Leave them in the ocean.

I treated the cupramine on day one and day 3 and it doesn't say to do anymore dosing. I only put the cupramine in the QT. so that i didn't kill my inverts/corals in my DT. The tang is fine and his only problem through this whole crisis was the fact that he had cloudy eye. (which has gone away now). he never showed any signs of ich or any stress and he never refused to eat like every other fish did. I'm not going to dose the QT nemore, i was jw how long they needed to b in there. I don't want to sound hasty but I don't really see how my 55 gal would stress out my tang. Ive read they need 4ft. My tank is 4ft long. ( i had a friend who had a yellow tang in a 35 gal for 3 years and he is still doing fine) (his is also 2x bigger than mine). My other friend has a yellow tang a pearl scaled butterfly and an swallowtail angel in a 55 w/ no problems. I appreciate your inputs but as for now im gonna keep the tang. If he shows any signs of stress however, i would b happy to take him back.

I treated the cupramine on day one and day 3 and it doesn't say to do anymore dosing. I only put the cupramine in the QT. so that i didn't kill my inverts/corals in my DT. The tang is fine and his only problem through this whole crisis was the fact that he had cloudy eye. (which has gone away now). he never showed any signs of ich or any stress and he never refused to eat like every other fish did. I'm not going to dose the QT nemore, i was jw how long they needed to b in there. I don't want to sound hasty but I don't really see how my 55 gal would stress out my tang. Ive read they need 4ft. My tank is 4ft long. ( i had a friend who had a yellow tang in a 35 gal for 3 years and he is still doing fine) (his is also 2x bigger than mine). My other friend has a yellow tang a pearl scaled butterfly and an swallowtail angel in a 55 w/ no problems. I appreciate your inputs but as for now im gonna keep the tang. If he shows any signs of stress however, i would b happy to take him back.

God these threads get old. Good Luck.

Jim, the posts do seem to run in cycles. It's almost like a SOAP on TV. You can stop watching for a year and get right back into some of the same old discussions.

Mitch, "The results of the many experiments by Walford and Weindruch were summarized in their book The Retardation of Aging and Disease by Dietary Restriction (1988) (ISBN 0-398-05496-7).
The findings have since been accepted and generalized to a range of other animals."

From Calorie Restriction with Optimum Nutrition (CRON) - The Longevity Diet.
"Calorie Restriction Extends Life
The life-extending effect of reduced calorie diets was reported in 1935 along with the observation that CR stunted body size.[1] Since then, CR has been proven to extend the average and maximum life span for many species including yeasts, worms, mice, rats, etc. Animal experiments on calorie restriction after maturity indicate that adult-onset CR also increases longevity.[2] Experimental animals have the advantage that they are kept in sanitary cages, given regular meals, and not subjected to stress, infectious diseases, accidents, and predation that would reduce their life span in the wild. Many mechanisms have been proposed to try to explain why CR increases life span. Studies at the molecular level have shown that several genes in the sirtuin class, including SIRT1, SIRT3, and SIRT4, create enzymes that increase the activity of the mitochondria and slow the cell's aging process.[21] Many years of study and experimentation will be required to elucidate the complex molecular processes that result in longevity and, also perhaps, to develop nutritional supplements that extend lifespan without having to suffer the rigors of hunger. There has not been sufficient research to determine if humans on calorie restricted diets will live longer, but preliminary observations of the physiological changes caused by CR indicate that life-extending effects will probably be observable in humans also.[3] "

This is now being proven in Human studies as well...
Calorie Restriction Leads Scientists to Molecular Pathways That Slow Aging, Improve Health

This is not new science. It has been proven in many species and has recently been shown to have great effect on humans too.

Haha, only if you think it qualifies. I know you have been looking for a good number 10 for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom