Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How long in QT Tank?

I had some sort of disease outbreak about a week ago (fish are obviously sick thread). I purchased a QT tank and have two gobies in there that are recovering well. They are both eating now like they used to (refused to eat b4). I treated the tank w/ copper and i don't know if that helped or not (what guy at LFS told me to do). Neways, how long do they need to stay in there? Today is day 5.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Until you diagnose what your problem is, who knows. 3 weeks is a safe minimum, but until you know what you are dealing with, its hard to say.

Did you have any inverts or coral in your tank when you bombed it with copper? And you now know that since you used copper you will never be able to have really sensitive corals and inverts?

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

he dosed copper in the QT i hope? if so he can have what he wants in his display tank
Old 07-21-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

True, I read that hastily, not sure why i assumed you dosed the DT.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 07-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

OK, just read your other post. You treated with copper even though there was no evidence of ICH. Time to stop listening to the LFS.

Keep them there for 30 days! STOP the cupramine treatment.

Are there any fish left in the display tank?
Do they show any signs of stress or disease?

Keep doing pwcs in the DT and QT tanks to maintain stable parameters. If the tang is still alive trade it back to the lfs for something more suitable for your tank.

SLOW down on the livestock additions. Add only 1 or 2 fish per month (30 days apart).

Seymour's Salt Water tank rules:
Rule # 1. Nothing Good ever happens Fast in a salt water aquarium
Rule # 2. Don't add anything (supplements/chemicals/minerals)you don't test for first.
Rule # 3. PWC (Partial Water Changes) are your friend, and cure many ills.
Rule # 4. QT EVERYTHING before adding it to your tank (mandarins excepted, corals should be dipped)
Rule # 5. Use only RO or RODI water (either buy it or make it)
Rule # 6. All animal species live longer on a 30% reduced caloric intake. Only feed every other day at most (fish species dependant)
Rule # 7. Hyposalinity is the best, safest, and most effective treatment for marine Ich (IMHO)
Rule # 8. A Refractometer is a MUST HAVE, not a luxury.
Rule # 9. Anemones will never live anywhere near their normal (aprox 30 years) lifespan in a home aquarium. Leave them in the ocean.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I treated the cupramine on day one and day 3 and it doesn't say to do anymore dosing. I only put the cupramine in the QT. so that i didn't kill my inverts/corals in my DT. The tang is fine and his only problem through this whole crisis was the fact that he had cloudy eye. (which has gone away now). he never showed any signs of ich or any stress and he never refused to eat like every other fish did. I'm not going to dose the QT nemore, i was jw how long they needed to b in there. I don't want to sound hasty but I don't really see how my 55 gal would stress out my tang. Ive read they need 4ft. My tank is 4ft long. ( i had a friend who had a yellow tang in a 35 gal for 3 years and he is still doing fine) (his is also 2x bigger than mine). My other friend has a yellow tang a pearl scaled butterfly and an swallowtail angel in a 55 w/ no problems. I appreciate your inputs but as for now im gonna keep the tang. If he shows any signs of stress however, i would b happy to take him back.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegm1sc View Post
I treated the cupramine on day one and day 3 and it doesn't say to do anymore dosing. I only put the cupramine in the QT. so that i didn't kill my inverts/corals in my DT. The tang is fine and his only problem through this whole crisis was the fact that he had cloudy eye. (which has gone away now). he never showed any signs of ich or any stress and he never refused to eat like every other fish did. I'm not going to dose the QT nemore, i was jw how long they needed to b in there. I don't want to sound hasty but I don't really see how my 55 gal would stress out my tang. Ive read they need 4ft. My tank is 4ft long. ( i had a friend who had a yellow tang in a 35 gal for 3 years and he is still doing fine) (his is also 2x bigger than mine). My other friend has a yellow tang a pearl scaled butterfly and an swallowtail angel in a 55 w/ no problems. I appreciate your inputs but as for now im gonna keep the tang. If he shows any signs of stress however, i would b happy to take him back.
God these threads get old. Good Luck.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 07-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #8
is back to save the day!

Good Luck Mate!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:42 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice rules Cmor.

Rule 6 is interesting. Anything I can read backing that? Sounds like an interesting read. Not doubting you.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:18 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Number 10 should be recommended tank sizes are there for a reason.

Dorm Pico Tank

Tags
long, qt tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com