Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2004, 10:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

how long to get ich off of rock

We are going to break down our fowlr because of ich. We are taking the fish that are left back to the lfs. What I need to know is how long will it take the rock to clear of ich(out of water) and if there is any way to sanitize it to speed up the process? We want to eventually use it in the reef but don't want to transfer the ich to the reef. It is not live rock per se, it is only base rock with bacteria on it.

http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 10:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I would leave it fishless for 6 weeks. You can elevate the temp in the tank to the mid 80s, that will speed up the life cycle of the parasite.

Old 12-02-2004, 12:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you have no fish at all or other life in teh tank the only way to really speed the process without harmful chemicals is to raise the temp. I would say let it go as high as possible if you have no life in teh tank at all. Mid 80's is boarderline for ich I would go to high 80s low 90s if possible. Still would wait atleast 3 or 4 weeks even that way.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I believe if I read that correctly you said "out of water" ... if you let the rock completely dry than that should do it.... ich doesn't last long out of water.... that's you you throughly dry nets in between uses etc.... if you let the rock dry completely that should kill if off....
Old 12-02-2004, 12:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ahh yes I correct myself. Ich is an organism and like any other it needs food to survive (as well as water in it's case). It will die off within a day or so out of water... give it a few just to be safe but that should do it. I would still raise the temp of the tank just incase so the organisms left in the water die off. They will live for 6 weeks or so under normal conditions with no food source.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Ah.. misread, out of water.....agree with above.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:09 PM   #7
steve-s

No point in removing the rock unless your going to tear down the tank completely, steralize and reset up. C.irritans will just as easily encysts on the glass, substrate, equipment etc, etc... as it will on the rock. IMO, it would be much easier to just let the tank run fallow as is.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-02-2004, 10:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

We are going to break it down completely and sell the tank and canopy. We are going to throw away the substrate and try to reuse the rock. I will sterilize the powerheads and hob filter with bleach/water so they can be my backups for the reef tank. We will be taking the rock out and cleaning it for reuse but I just wanted to know how to sterilize the rock so the ich will be gone for good. Leaving it out of the water for ? long will be totally acceptable just to be sure. I would literally cry if the reef tank got ich.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:23 PM   #9
steve-s

No need to steralize the rock at all. Personally I wouldn't even dry it out. Simpley put in a few pails or large rubbermaid bin with a powerhead and heater. Leave it like that for two months and add bits of food a few times a week. It will allow the ick to die off and preserve rather exspensive rock.

If your intent on drying the rock, once it's completely dried naturally, just leave it a week like that. Since it will be dead rock anyway, soaking it in RO water a week or so will accomplish the same thing.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
ich, long, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com