How many people here treat for disease in a qt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe5688

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm not talking about if the fish if already sick but like if you bring home a fish and put it in the qt how many of you treat just in case? Been reading mixed thoughts on this and just curious how necessary it is.

You mean like preemptive treatment? You quarantine them when you bring them home and treat for diseases Even if there are no signs of disease? I think this is an interesting question and would like to know peoples thoughts on it as well. :)

I dont have a QT, but if i did it would just be Before i introduced new fish, and i would observe them for a few weeks before adding them to the DT. If you do see a desiese or type of sickness i would then start to treat, but only when i have a reason too. It would make no sence for me to treat with chemicals and antibiotics before i think anything is wrong because it would just be a waste of money. This is just my view, someone else may dissagree

Bearchumjs said:
You mean like preemptive treatment? You quarantine them when you bring them home and treat for diseases Even if there are no signs of disease? I think this is an interesting question and would like to know peoples thoughts on it as well. :)

Yeah exactly what I ment lol

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I dont have a QT, but if i did it would just be Before i introduced new fish, and i would observe them for a few weeks before adding them to the DT. If you do see a desiese or type of sickness i would then start to treat, but only when i have a reason too. It would make no sence for me to treat with chemicals and antibiotics before i think anything is wrong because it would just be a waste of money. This is just my view, someone else may dissagree

Yeah I agree, just curious about some of the things I was reading

There is a big difference between quarantine and treatment while quarantined. I highly advise everyone to quarantine new fish for 4-6 weeks. This has many benefits and it helps ensure you keep disease and parasites out of your tank. A quarantine tank is extremely cheap and easy to setup.

A quarantine is containment for treatment (biologically or chemically). If you are not treating the animal then the containment is nothing more than a holding tank and shouldn't be confused otherwise :) Most consumers won't understand nor even care as to the purpose of QT, they just want what they consider a pretty tank. In addition, most consumers aren't exposed to the various diseases/parasites since they don't handle livestock from transshippers/wholesalers or even exposed to the daily removal of dead fish at lfs' which are removed prior to opening. That being said, I can well assume that any diseased fish has already comprimised other livestock sharing its source water and therefore should be treated throughout (waiting for external signs of diseases/parasites allows for internal population increases and systemic failures). Depending on the species my med cabinet contains: copper sulfate, methylene blue, formalin, nitrofurazone, praziquantel, and panacur (when available). :)

I qt all new fish with a hyposalinity treatment. It is 100% fool proof way to destroy ich and make sure it never enters your display tank.

What's the best way to treat for ich once there is a fish that has it? Can you treat the whole display tank with something? I have a 60 gal hex and have lost clownfish to ich and another 1 has it now. I don't have a qt tank.

The question is are you willing to set one up? All you need is a 20g (High), maybe a heater (50w would do the trick unless you keep the house cold) and pvc for hiding. If not, you could either use 5g bucket for Formalin bath and aggressive water changes (gravel vacs) or take a risk and hypo the tank.

I am willing to do whatever, because won't it spread to all the fish now? I don't mind doing aggressive water changes at all. Tell me exactly what I need for a qt and I'll do it. Also give me some advice on the display tank since it will have ich in it for 8 weeks, correct? Do I need a filter and stuff on the qt? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom