How much ammonia do you get in your QT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greenmaster

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello,
I'm looking for some peoples experience with QT tanks. I was wondering what people have found with ammonia production in their QT tanks over a 24 hour period. Amount of ammonia and volume of water changed every day, for a few days would be a great set of numbers to work with. As well as how many of what kind/size of fish.
Thanks.

I don't get any NH3 readings in any QT's I've ever set up because I perform 50% water changes daily. As for sizing and type of fish, it all depends. I could easily house 2 angelfish at 4", 2 wrasses at 3", and 2 misc. fish separated by a divider quite easily. However, if I was purchasing a large school of chromis, butterflyfish, or clownfish I might want to segregate them separately depending on socializations, aggressiveness, and as always disease expectations.

So what you are saying is that there in your experience you have never gotten even 0.25 ppm of ammonia as long as you did 50% water changes?

Mine have always registered as 0, even using a Hach. By performing 50% water changes (I do use a sponge filter) daily I prevent a cycle altogether while allowing bacteria to slowly multiply (doesn't really matter since I use meds).

Okay... anyone else? I'm trying to get a baseline of ammonia production of fish (volume).
What do you mean by baseline production? Different fish produce different amounts of ammonia. I wouldn't want my fish to spend more than a few hours in ammonia .25ppm. Ammonia can make your fish sick as can nitrites and higher nitrates. So I guess base line ammonia should be zero. Which is why I test every day.

Noga has a baseline for open systems, but I don't know if it can be applied in some fashion to a closed QT.

Anyone got any numbers? I'm trying to do some research here, so any numbers you have would help... Okay I'm looking for ammonia production of fish so that I can do some calculations. Any fish even if they are all different. I'm just looking for some numbers I can work with here...

Back
Top Bottom