Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-28-2004, 12:13 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thats great, just keep watching them

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 12:05 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to drewbles99
well so much for the good news...

Got home tonight to find a full outbreak on the blue tang of small white spots...

Emporer has several spots on his fins and my queen angel now has a few spots on her fins as well.

I am starting a course of NO-ICH at 2ozs per 25 gallons.

all of my fish are behaving normally and eating at this point. No scratching or eradic swimming or anything out of the ordinary besides the white spots...

I am guessing the 2 angels will not survive this.. I am also guessing my blue tang willl not make it...

but my yellow tang, 6 line wrasse, blue damsel and picasso will all be fine I am sure.

Old 05-29-2004, 11:30 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I know the feeling, thats exactly how it happened to me. Got home from a BBQ and found my Angel at the bottom of the tank, with heavy gilling...stuck to a filter...the tang had white spots and both had pieces missing from there fins. the other two seemed fine at first...then my clown showed symptoms too. Turned out to be brooklynella. It's really heartbreaking. Listen, I know you say you can't afford a QT tank, but you have no idea how much money it will save you in the long run. It sounds like ich to me and I have been told many many times about the success with copper...you might be able to save them! Quarryshark uses Cupramine with a seachem copper test. He has had success with it from what I understand...

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 12:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Yup, it works great. Mine was a velvet outbreak, but the results are the same.
Old 05-29-2004, 01:58 PM   #15

I was always under the impression that as soon as you see any parasites that it is presumed the entire tank is infected? I suppose you mean I should setup a QT tank for fish that I bring home and keep them in it before adding them to the main tank?

How big should a QT tank be? I have fish that are 5-8 inches so I can't just get a 10 gallon I dont think. Does a QT tank require normal cycling? Isin't it super stressful on the fish to keep moving too?
Old 05-29-2004, 02:26 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
You have a 55? Most of your fish are going to outgrow that in a hurry. Both of you Angels can reach a foot in length, your Yellow and Blue tank can get 8"+ and the Trigger will get huge. This would be a bit much for my tank. Plus as the Angels get bigger, they will probably fight.
I hope you plan an upgrade for the near future, the bioload will be impossible is a 55 and as the fish mature, the agression will increase.
That aside, for this group you would probably need "at least" a 30 gallon qt tank. You could partially use water from your system and the other part fresh mix. You are going to treat with meds or hypo anyway, so any parasites in the water would be killed. There really isn't time for normal cycling and med will kill off the bacteria anyway. You would keep the ammonia and nitrite down with daily water changes.
Yes the entire tank is infected and a fishless (inverts can stay) period of 4-6 weeks with elevated temp will kill the parasites off.
It is stressful to constantly move fish, but ich will eventually kill them unless you do.
It's obviously your call, but I would condsider trading in a few of these fish, unless you have plans for a bigger system.
Not trying to give you a hard time, just stating facts and trying to help .
Advisors feel free to chime in with opinions.
Old 05-29-2004, 08:29 PM   #17

I don't disagree with you about these fish being to large for a 55 down the line. However, in my experience, it takes fish a lot longer to grow then most people seem to think.

I do have plans to get a larger tank about a year from now, and I think things will work out. I just hope these fish survive the current epidemic.

Update: Day 2 of NO-ICH and most of the parasites have dissappeared from naked eye view. All of the fish are eating everything I put in the tank... A few white spots here and there on the blue tang's body and the angels fins.
Old 05-31-2004, 05:52 PM   #18

Update...

Today was the second day of dosing with NO-ICH and I wanted to report that all of the fish are eating ravenously. Flake, Frozen, plankton, pellets, it doesn't matter. They all look good expcept for a few white sposts on fins and the BVlue tang's body. No scratching, no odd behavior.

It's a good day for the tank so I'm going o enjoy it as much as I can.

PS- Inverts appear to be unaffected.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:48 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to luntiz
Keep us updated.

50 Gallon Acrylic Tank (36x15x20)
85lbs Fiji Live Rock
Barebottom
(4) Maxi-Jet 900 (230gph) *Awaiting 2 MJ1200s*

Lighting

(1) 250W 10,000K Aqualine Aquamedic HQI Hanging Pendant
(5) LED Moonlights

Live Stock

(2) Pink Skunk Clownfishes
Goldstripped Maroon Clownfish
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish
luntiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 12:17 PM   #20

Update: Yesterday was day 7 of my No-Ich treatment. I added another 4 oz and observed the tank. There are virtually no signs of infection at this point. Perhaps a few spots on a few of the fishes fins, but that's about it. All of the fish are feeding ravenously. I love to see even the pickiest eaters like the Emporer charge down some spirulina flakes, it just warms my heart. Ther eare no other signs of infection, as in no scratching, no rapid breathing, no fin rot, no discoloration. I must say that I am having a hard time believing that there are people that don't like no-ich at this point. It will be interesting to see how the tank responds after a few weeks without the treatment. I have 2 more doses over the next 7 days to administer.

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com