Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2006, 02:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to dscount Send a message via Yahoo to dscount
How to Clean up after Cooper use?

OK.. I've a simple 10 gal QT Tank set aside for introduction of new fish to my main tank. Sponge filter, heater, one LR (for hiding) and lights.

I know I can't reuse these items in the main tank. (Inverts)

BUT... How does one go about cleaning say the vaccuum that I inserted long enough to siphon water out? How about the heater? Maybe even the tank itself (Less the items above). Like I dipped the net in the tank to move the fish even, that need cleaning? I know this is worst case, since the PPM transferred would be SOOOOO small that it wouldn't register.

I've not found this answer and I think others would be interested in whatever proven methods are available.

I think someone mentioned vinegar? Iodine wash? Suggestions please. Thanks

Old 12-31-2006, 09:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would not use anything that came in contact with copper. In short I would say there is not really a safe way to "clean up" after copper contamination /use. I would recommend a dedicated lot of equipment for just that purpose this way you dont worry about cross contamination . HTH

10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

People overreact regarding copper in my opinion/experience. With the exception of anything porous or calcium based such as your liverock, just rinse it off well and don't worry.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Pro
People overreact regarding copper in my opinion/experience. With the exception of anything porous or calcium based such as your liverock, just rinse it off well and don't worry.
I have but 1 thing to say to that better safe than sorry
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 03:51 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Pro
I highly agree with this. Personally, I have dosed heavy copper in acrylic and glass tanks, cleaned them up, and used as coral prop. tanks and/or general reef tanks without incident. Some high end tests don't even register residual copper afterwards...
Old 12-31-2006, 06:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree, however I would remove that LR and not use it.

Whether using as a hospital tank or a QT you do not want to use anything that can not be removed for cleaning.

You would be better off with some PVC imo.

Tags
clean

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com