Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2004, 03:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How to cure ICH??

all my fish ( 2 ocellaris, longnose hawk, firefish, coral beauty) are currently battling ich. i just set up a QT with power filter, heater, PVC. what's next?

1. which treatment method is more effective and safe? copper or hyposalinity? i have coppersafe but dont have have the copper test kit for it

2. will ich die in my main tank if i leave it fishless for 6 wks. only live rocks and a hairy mushroom in there

thanks

Old 03-30-2004, 04:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
You do really need to get the copper test kit of you are going treat with that method. Too much copper can kill your fish, not enough copper will not eradicate the parasite.
I prefer the copper treatment, however some others prefer hypo. I'm sure other opinions are forthcoming. A lot of it depends on how bad the infestation is.
Yes 6 weeks should be fine, I left mine for 8 with good result.
Good luck!!

Old 03-30-2004, 05:10 PM   #3

how much copper should i add. i have coppersafe and it says 1teaspoon or 5mL per 4 gal of water. what level should i look for if i will test for copper?
Old 03-30-2004, 05:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotSauce
how much copper should i add. i have coppersafe and it says 1teaspoon or 5mL per 4 gal of water. what level should i look for if i will test for copper?
It is often times difficult to test for copper. I would add the suggested amount and then add additional when you do water changes according to how much water you change out.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
I found that following the directions was not sufficient when I tried copper. I had a test and it usually read the copper levels as 60% of what they needed to be if I followed the directions. I would highly recommend a test if you're going to use copper.

In answer to your question of hyposalinity vs. copper, I think that copper is probably the better solution. Hyposalinity sounds better on paper because it's less stressful on the fish and on your pocketbook, but it's much more difficult to execute. If you have too much evaporation one day and your salinity jumps a point or two, you have to start all over. Copper is much easier.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 05:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Yup, or use (I don't work for them ) cupramine and their test kit (Seachems). It gives you a target level of .5 ppm and the test kit (in my experience) works well.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would highly suggest this article....

http://www.reef-aquarium.net/resources/disease/ich.html

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 12:08 AM   #8

I had the problem of Ich and I found that hyposalinity along with full dosage triple sulpha everyday for 6 days worked. Leaving your tank fishless for 6 weeks will also work. You might want to turn up the temp to speed up the life cycle in your fishless tank.

Tags
cure, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com