how to know if a inverbrate is dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stuquarium

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi guys.

i was wondering what the signs to look for were when an an inverabre like a starfish is dieing.

i put one in my 3month old tank last week and he's moved to the back of the tank, and stayed in the 1 spot now for ages, his lost a little color eg. the tips of his arms ar darker than the rest of him, i bought it as a RED star form my LFS some folks seem to think it's a linka star..

should i net him and move him somewhere else in the tank. or leave him be?

some starfish start to dissolve. others may show white areas where the flesh is dieing off.

If it is not where you can keep an eye on it, I would net it and move it so you can. Other than that, yuo might want to try to target feed it a piece of shrimp and see if it will eat.

The best way I have found to feed these big stars, unlike serpent stars that will take it right out of your hand, is to put the small piece of shrimp on the sandbed, then place the disk of the star on top of the shrimp.

sometimes there is a greater need....that doesnt mean you go around playing with them. Just make sure your hands are clean and you wont do any more damage than trying to manipulate it with a net.

Back
Top Bottom