Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-02-2004, 11:22 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I think those of you whom may only have experence with this board when it comes to getting info about your aquariums might be shocked at how members and even staff react to newbies on other boards. I would classify our responses here as being some of the best as far as being nondiscouraging while at the same time giving realistic information.

The whole purpose behnid the underline and alt text on things like GAC or NO or PC is that if you dont know what PC stands for you can hover your mouse over it and see that PC stands for Power Compact. If you still dont know what that means at least you have the non abrevation to work on.

There is a fine line between posting a novel and covering everything in plain simple text and posting a consice and helpful message that is of lenght that someone will realisticly sit down and read all the way thru.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:53 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
I agree that this is a friendly, helpful board. I've asked some really dumb questions and no one has pointed and laughed.

I also agree with the gist of Seafan's post, though not with all the details (I don't think price should be off-limits unless asked for--some of the most frustrating threads for me personally are the ones where people ask for advice, get it, and then say, "Well, I can't afford that [insert necessary basic like test kit here]. Can't I just [insert bad shortcut here]?" I do think that it's important to let new people understand that this isn't a cheap hobby. It sounds harsh, but if a person doesn't have a certain amount of disposable income, this hobby might need to wait.)

Anyway, the only time I usually see more experienced folks getting edgy is when the health of fish is at stake. Sometimes people have gotten terrible advice from the LFS and they are here because everything's going wrong and they don't know why. For those folks, a gentle first couple of posts are probably in order--if they don't get it right away, then the tone can be ramped up . . . I'm thinking about a few threads recently (I'm pretty sure they were on this board--I read reefcentral too, and might be mixing up a little) like the guy who had ordered the 4 inch deep tank. Okay, we were all (righteously) pretty much appalled and told him to send the tank back--and as far as I know he never posted again (I checked back a couple of times). Either he didn't get the answer he wanted and so he took his ball and went home--or we scared him off and now there's a hippo tang somewhere in an uncycled, 4-inch wide tank.

That paragraph switched points in the middle. Sorry. Bad English teacher.

What's the answer to that? I don't really know. But overall, I do think this is a great and helpful board and I'm so glad I found it.

Now I'm just thinking about all the help I've gotten over the past few months. Thanks, everyone! =sniff= Now I'm all farklempt.

75-gallon SW tank with 29-gallon sump
Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 12:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
I agree on being patient with the newbies and here is a good tip for all newbies.

The only dumb question is one that isnt asked.

We are all here to help.
Please remember to vote for Aquarium Advice!

oscarbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 10:24 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
I'd agree myself, this forum is the best for and very helpful and easy on newbies. I have done research on several other reef forums and they have not been as kind as this one. Aquarium advice is definitely named correctly! Thanks for all the help and the articles and references here!!

Equipment: 33G SW Reef tank (pic), 192W Coralife PC lighting, PHs for H2O circulation, Red Sea Berlin Classic Skimmer
Aquascaping: 3" DSB, 50lb live rock (~35 lbs home made Cement Base Rock)
Clean Up Crew: Blue Leg hermits, Cerith snails, Astrea Snails, Stomatella snails, Brittlestar, banded brittles.
Critters: Hawaiian feather duster, Coral Banded Shrimp, Emerald Crab
Corals: Open Brain Coral, Cabbage coral, 4 RBTAs, Melon mushrooms, green Zoos, yellow polyps, finger Leather, orange Zoos, Brown Zoos, Chocolate Zoos, Xenia, GSP, Kenya Tree Coral, 2 acropora SPS, blue sponge, candy cane
Fish/Inverts: Maroon Clownfish, Scooter Blenny, Coral Beauty dwarf angel, Sea Hare
vertex is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com