Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2004, 10:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

How to remove treatment solution.

Hi, I would like to ask whether how am I going to removes ich treatment solution after it has no longer use in the tank? And how do I know whether it has been removes completely?

Old 02-26-2004, 11:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What did you use? If it was a copper based medication, you will need to use some sort of copper absorbent product. Seachem makes something along these lines called CupriSorb.

Beaware, this will not guarantee that you will be able to keep inverts again.

Old 02-26-2004, 11:33 AM   #3
steve-s

Depends on what treatment you used and if it was in the main tank or a proper QT. For the most part several water changes and using a polyfilter preferabley or GAC if that's unavailable for the next week or so will usually do the trick.

The only way to be sure it is gone is to ensure you continually dilute it. The only med that can be monitored is copper.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-26-2004, 09:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

If I just want to eleminate ich, will lower the SG helps? Can this method really eleminates every single parasites? How long should I perform this lower SG method? 4 weeks? BTW can cleaner shrimp, tube worms/feather duster be in there? Or they should be move to QT?
Old 02-26-2004, 11:27 PM   #5
steve-s

If you have a QT, why not just remove the fish?

Everything other than the fish and the bacteria will be decimated by the hyposalinity, nothing else will survive. Once the salinity is lowered to 1.009 SG (14 ppt) it should remain there for 4 weeks. This article will explain everything you need to know.... >>hyposalinity<<

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-27-2004, 04:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

If I leave the display tank fishless, meaning I move all fish to QT, will the parasites die by itself? How long should it be left without fish? And how do I know if there is no parasite presence in the display tank? Can cleaner shrimp be place in the display tank?
Old 02-27-2004, 10:33 AM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansiz
If I leave the display tank fishless, meaning I move all fish to QT, will the parasites die by itself? How long should it be left without fish?
Yes, if you leave the display tank fishless for 4-6 weeks while the fish are being treated in the QT the parasite will die off naturally. Invertebrates cannot nourish the parasite.

Quote:
And how do I know if there is no parasite presence in the display tank? Can cleaner shrimp be place in the display tank?
To be honest there is no sure way of knowing the parasite has been elimintaed except to be cautious and possibley extend the fallow stage to 6-8 weeks. The shrimp and other inverts will be fine provided no treatemnts are used on the main display tank. You will also need to ensure you feed the tank a few times a week to keep the bacteria up and the inverts healthy.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-28-2004, 05:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Beaware, this will not guarantee that you will be able to keep inverts again.

do you really buy this ??? i hope not !?!?!? i have seen alot of people freaked out about buying a tank that might of had copper in it !?!?! i truly feel this is way over reacted !! and will buy any tank as long as it hold water copper or not i have 2 55 gallons tanks that i used to copper all the time well one now is my fuge and pods worms macros are growing like crazy !! even have used the same cc and no negative affects that i see all seams great
Old 02-29-2004, 09:27 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

No no, I did'nt buy any copper treatment solution, I just wanted to make sure if it is the best way to eliminates parasites, now I think its not, still the hyposalinity is the best. I also intent to buy a UV sterilizer to kill off some or maybe most of the floating parasites, hope to help my fishes out a little, this is the most I could do for them.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:07 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

mansiz do some reading on uv verse ozone and make our own judgement on which ya want imo your better with ozone if used right for killing parasites also it boosts your skimmer by mabe 30 per cent and no bulbs to replace i love my ozone and having people that love to bring home surprise fish and drop them into the tank with out qt with ozone ive had no ick break outs !! so either im soooo very lucky (which i really doubt )) the ozone has made the diff for me 100 per cent good luck

Tags
eat, treatment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com