How to remove treatment solution.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mansiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I would like to ask whether how am I going to removes ich treatment solution after it has no longer use in the tank? And how do I know whether it has been removes completely?

What did you use? If it was a copper based medication, you will need to use some sort of copper absorbent product. Seachem makes something along these lines called CupriSorb.

Beaware, this will not guarantee that you will be able to keep inverts again.

Depends on what treatment you used and if it was in the main tank or a proper QT. For the most part several water changes and using a polyfilter preferabley or GAC if that's unavailable for the next week or so will usually do the trick.

The only way to be sure it is gone is to ensure you continually dilute it. The only med that can be monitored is copper.

Cheers
Steve

If I just want to eleminate ich, will lower the SG helps? Can this method really eleminates every single parasites? How long should I perform this lower SG method? 4 weeks? BTW can cleaner shrimp, tube worms/feather duster be in there? Or they should be move to QT?

If you have a QT, why not just remove the fish?

Everything other than the fish and the bacteria will be decimated by the hyposalinity, nothing else will survive. Once the salinity is lowered to 1.009 SG (14 ppt) it should remain there for 4 weeks. This article will explain everything you need to know.... >>hyposalinity<<

Cheers
Steve

If I leave the display tank fishless, meaning I move all fish to QT, will the parasites die by itself? How long should it be left without fish? And how do I know if there is no parasite presence in the display tank? Can cleaner shrimp be place in the display tank?

mansiz said:
If I leave the display tank fishless, meaning I move all fish to QT, will the parasites die by itself? How long should it be left without fish?
Yes, if you leave the display tank fishless for 4-6 weeks while the fish are being treated in the QT the parasite will die off naturally. Invertebrates cannot nourish the parasite.

And how do I know if there is no parasite presence in the display tank? Can cleaner shrimp be place in the display tank?
To be honest there is no sure way of knowing the parasite has been elimintaed except to be cautious and possibley extend the fallow stage to 6-8 weeks. The shrimp and other inverts will be fine provided no treatemnts are used on the main display tank. You will also need to ensure you feed the tank a few times a week to keep the bacteria up and the inverts healthy.

Cheers
Steve

Beaware, this will not guarantee that you will be able to keep inverts again.

do you really buy this ??? i hope not !?!?!? i have seen alot of people freaked out about buying a tank that might of had copper in it !?!?! i truly feel this is way over reacted !! and will buy any tank as long as it hold water copper or not :) i have 2 55 gallons tanks that i used to copper all the time well one now is my fuge and pods worms macros are growing like crazy !! even have used the same cc and no negative affects that i see all seams great :)

No no, I did'nt buy any copper treatment solution, I just wanted to make sure if it is the best way to eliminates parasites, now I think its not, still the hyposalinity is the best. I also intent to buy a UV sterilizer to kill off some or maybe most of the floating parasites, hope to help my fishes out a little, this is the most I could do for them.

mansiz do some reading on uv verse ozone and make our own judgement on which ya want imo your better with ozone if used right for killing parasites also it boosts your skimmer by mabe 30 per cent :) and no bulbs to replace :) i love my ozone and having people that love to bring home surprise fish and drop them into the tank with out qt with ozone ive had no ick break outs !! so either im soooo very lucky (which i really doubt :) )) the ozone has made the diff for me 100 per cent :) good luck

do you really buy this ??? i hope not !?!?!? i have seen alot of people freaked out about buying a tank that might of had copper in it !?!?! i truly feel this is way over reacted !! and will buy any tank as long as it hold water copper or not i have 2 55 gallons tanks that i used to copper all the time well one now is my fuge and pods worms macros are growing like crazy !! even have used the same cc and no negative affects that i see all seams great

Huh?? :?

If one used copper in the a tank full of sand and LR, the odds of that copper being "trapped" in those places is extremely high. Over time, it will leach out.

Now if the entire tank was broken down and washed and rinsed, it is possible that the copper may have been competely removed. That is unless it was absorbed into the silicon tank seals.

dont buy the fact that even if the silicon is a blueish tint that it would be enough to kill inverts !! itsw just stained !! havnt killed any of mine ?!?!?!

scuba_steve said:
dont buy the fact that even if the silicon is a blueish tint that it would be enough to kill inverts !! itsw just stained !! havnt killed any of mine ?!?!?!
Copper will not normally tint the silicone. That will be mainly from the use of malachite green or similar meds which do not contain copper. There is a possibility it may not leach from inert products. The main concern as Biggen pointed out is CaCO3 based elements. Copper is absorbed like a sponge in water and will leach over time. The only exception would be a properly chelated form of copper but even then it is still possible depending on dosage used.

Cheers
Steve

ok heres my thoughts and mabe im in for a huge loss of life but till then i think this is over rated !! lets say you have a bleached coral in your fish only tank 55 gallon which ya used copper in and its 4 lb rock !! if i poured the 2 teaspoons copper on the rock and let it dry and then put in the reef i could see alot of leaching and could cause a prob !! but due to the copper being added to a tank with 55 gallons of water the residue on such rock or tank would be so small that even if i added it to the main tank and it leached out id bet ya still couldnt get a reading on a test kit !! 4lbs rock leaching out even a small amount in a new 55 gallon tank would be such a small amount i really dont think the inverts would even know !! i did this with one coral skeleton and my snails love to eat off it !! and its been in a copper tank for sure !! im not an expert but have done such bad things and never seen any negative responses from doing so :) like to see some proof of adding copper to a tank and then not being able to keep inverts in the same tank on a later date:) i just dont buy it and if anyone has a tank they dosed with copper and is worried about a reef tank success id buy it without a blink of an eye

mabe myth busters could prove this one way or another heheheh

like to see some proof of adding copper to a tank and then not being able to keep inverts in the same tank on a later date:) i just dont buy it and if anyone has a tank they dosed with copper and is worried about a reef tank success id buy it without a blink of an eye

Think about this: Copper kills inverts. Its proven poison. Products like Had a Snail contain a copper based chemical (copper-sulphate I believe) that is designed to kill inverts. Now, what kind of advisors would we be if we told people that "Sure even though you used copper based chemicals in the past in your tank, any and all inverts will be fine now that the chemical was hopefully removed". That would be like using a coffee cup to mix arsenic and water together and then telling a person that wanted to use it that it should be safe even though I washed it out.

I guess the bottom line is why would I, or anyone, want to take this kind of chance? Everything that I do is preventative. My QT, carbon, water changes, etc.. are all preventative means in order to avoid having any kind of problems. Why not practice the same with using copper?

I can't speak about your experiences with copper meds since I am not familiar with your situation. I can tell you that having any amount of copper in the tank is harmful. No matter how small you think the quantity is.

I am not trying to start a war of words with you, but I just want to stress how important it is that people know what they are doing with copper before using it.

heheh i dont want a war and not even my point at all and sorry if im coming across that way but i guess my point is that i really feel its over rated and stressed over more than it should be !! and i understand your point being a advisor and playing the safe roll for sure !!
i understand the toxicity of copper and am very careful with it !! but honestly ya wouldnt use a tank that had been dosed with copper ??

Oh really happy to hear advise from you guys, luckily I haven't bought the UV yet, I can still decide whether to go for ozone or UV. But I had a few questions.

Q1: Can Ozone be use if there are invert like tube worms/feather duster, snails, cleaner shrimp in there :?:

Q2: I do not have a sump, can it be directly added to the tank :?:

Q3: Some reply indicates that ozone will weaken rubber, so will it destroy the silicon glue that glue the 4 sides of my tank? Wow if the silicon burst, my living room will be doom. :(

Q4: Read a lot of replies saying using a orp meter to measure the amount of ozone that should be used, so what is this meter? Never heard before.

Q5: Ozone is really 4X more expensive than UV sterilizer?

Any articles or web sites have good ozone introduction?

Back
Top Bottom