How to treat fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robocop

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is the best method/medication for treating Fine Rot? I treated a Coral Beauty with Mardel Saltwater Maracyn and he died the next day.

Sorry for your loss :(

How did you administer the Maracyn (I or II)?

robocop said:
What is the best method/medication for treating Fine Rot?
It would depend on how advanced the problem is. In most cases, minor problems require no medications at all. The major causes are usually elevated DOC in the water and/or a supressed immune system. The easiest first step is a few good sized water changes with well aged and aerated SW. That will help in reducing the DOC that feeds the bacteria. The other is being sure all the food fed to the fish are properly fortified with a good liquid marine vitamin. That will help boost the fishs natural immune system. With the lowered DOC and increased nutrition, the fish will typically kick the problem quite quickly.

What are your water specs NH3, NO2 and NO3 (actual numbers if you can) and what do you regularly feed and how often?

Cheers
Steve

I treated him in a 10g QT, so I used half a tablet because the instructins say use one tablet for 20g

The fin rot could have been the sign of a larger problem but at the time the only visible evidence. The med you used and the finrot itself would not have caused the death of the fish.

Cheers
Steev

Back
Top Bottom