Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-08-2009, 12:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Humu Humu injured

Tonight I checked in my tank and saw my humu attached to the suction port of a powerhead. At some point since I laid down, the tube broke of the powerhead and he got a little too close. I thought he was dead but when I fred him he swam away. Now Ive noticed he has a perfect circular "hickey" on his left side and he cant use his left pectoral fin. I checked his alertness and activeness and he seems fine, just a little shaken up. I felt bad so I hand fed him a piece of shrimp, he didnt hesitate to eat it. My main concern is will the possible permenant loss of use in his pectoral fin cause a health decline or will he just be handicapped and happy.
I feel terrible about this and he is my fav fish.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:00 AM   #2
is back to save the day!

I think in this situation time is your best freind. You should monitor him whenever you get the chance, and if he cant get food on his own, then hand feed him like you previously did. Maybe he just needs to regain his strength. I feel bad for your humu humu, they're really nice fish. Hope he gets better.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have hand fed him since he was a 1" little guy, hes like a dog, comes up wagging his little tail it seems, every time I come to the tank.
He seems to be doing alright. Ill post a pic of the wound when the lights come on.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

My dad's clown trigger has a "hickey" looking wound, too. I think they were from damsels, but I'm awaiting your pics to see if they look the same. Good luck with your Humu. I have one, too, and they're a real joy to watch and feed.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Zack, he may regain use of his fin as long as others in the tank give him time to rest and regain his strength.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:43 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

If you see any redness, open sores, or excessive swelling you may have to treat with Nitrofurazone or other anti-bacterial med in a separate vessel. Triggers are tough beasties, though
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hes doing good, still not using the fin though but he OWNS my tank, being a reef tank no one bothers the trigger. The bruise is gone and there is no swelling. I have since bought a new PH.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

You got yourself a "Nemo" of a different sort...Main thing is he looks like he's going to make it.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

update, he can use his fin again but its about half the size of the other one, but hes swimming
Old 08-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicasmarine View Post
update, he can use his fin again but its about half the size of the other one, but hes swimming
Good for you and the little fishy. He is just another big nemo now with a gimpy fin.

Tags
humu, injured

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com