Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-18-2004, 09:43 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I hear that they are getting up to $2000 for a generator. Is that true?
It better not be, price gouging is illegal. If you were to do something like that, you need to make sure you are either selling them for your cost out of the goodness of your heart, or you get them wholesale and are selling them at a fair market value, something reasonable and customary for the area. For instance you can get a generator from Home Depot for 400-500, don't go much higher for a comparable model, if you do...it's price gouging an you can be fined 25,000 Benefitting from the misfortune of others pretty much makes you a vulture in my book.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 10:23 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hello again to all! I am VERY VERY pleased and excited to report that my power came back on around 3:30 central time today!!!!!!!!! I was sitting in my living room and I heard this buzzing noise, so I glanced up at the tank to see if the battery powered pump was acting funny. But, then - I saw my ceiling fan begin to spin! I jumped up yelling "the power, the power!" hahaha. So, my tank is now back up and running and my regal tang and clown couldn't be happier! My power coming on this quickly is remarkable to say the least. The funny thing is... I have a generator on the way!

But, in response to your question, seaham. Yes, I have heard that some people were purchasing generators for very extreme amounts of money. But, some of our home improvement stores are getting in shipments. Home Depot had twenty this morning and some people were waiting in line since midnight.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I will update on the tank's condition soon!!!

In its great blue whales, hunted even to
between houses, an entire people was
dreaming of a less silent light.
BlueDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 10:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thats great! Do keep a close eye on things for a few days as stress problems can show up days later. You will sleep better at night knowing you have a generator.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 10:43 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark

Super!!!
Old 09-18-2004, 11:19 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Benefitting from the misfortune of others pretty much makes you a vulture in my book.
I just realized that would look like I was speaking to the poster I quoted in my previous post. I wasn't, I was referring to price gougers, it's understandable to try and make a fair dollar, it's something the people in the area need and if you provide it at a fair price, your doing a service, but people that charge 5 bucks for an 8lb bag of ice, or a grand for a 500 generator are subhuman, it's adding another injury upon people that have already lost enough.

Blue Dolphin, I'm very glad you got your power back, it hasn't been long since we were without power and it truely sucks!

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 11:53 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

reefrunner,

I totally agree with you about the price gouging. I heard there were quite a few cases in the past couple days - a lot of those were dealing with the generator prices. Even though my power is on, when my generator arrives I don't think I will sell it. I will feel so much better knowing that I have one just in case something happens again.

Now, I do have one more question. All of my frozen fish food naturally became thawed out when the power when out. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to re-freeze it, would it? Could it make my fish sick??

In its great blue whales, hunted even to
between houses, an entire people was
dreaming of a less silent light.
BlueDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 12:22 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

BTW I lost power here in West Palm Beach and I set up my battery powered aerator that I got from the local bait shop and had the bubbles flow up a pvc pipe that was diagonally across the tank. The water circulation was surprising and it ran for 48 hrs on 2 D batteries.
No loss after 9 days with no power.
Tom J
Old 09-19-2004, 06:14 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDolphin
Thanks so much for all of your replies! I can't get the forum too often as I am trying to conserve the battery power of my laptop. They said the power could be out anywhere from 2 weeks to months!!!
Holey crap that's a long time to be without power...!

I guess you could get an inverter as well if you want and throw some 12v batteries onto it, then use the generator to keep them charged.

flanque is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com